24, Make Them Martyrs

"We'll move out right away. This is a start, but there's something we need to begin the real work." Ultron said, walking with open arms into a bigger room.

"All of these are..." a woman says, one Haven recognized as Wanda Maximoff.

Ultron had gotten to the twins.

"Me." He replies. "I have what the Avengers never will. Harmony. They're discordant. Disconnected. Stark's already got them turning on each other. And when we get inside the rest of their heads..."

"Everyone's plan is not to kill them," Pietro says.

"And make them martyrs?" Ultron says, tilting his head. "You need patience. Need to see the big picture."

"I don't see the big picture. I have a little picture. I take it out and look at it, every day."

Ultron nodded, "you lost your parents in the bombing. I've seen the records."

"The records are not the picture." Pietro shakes his head. "We were 10 years old. Having dinner, the four of us. When the first shell hits, two floors below, it makes a hole in the floor. It's big. Our parents go in and the whole building starts coming apart. I grab her, roll under the bed, and the second shell hits. But it doesn't go off. It just sits there in the rubble. Three feet from our faces. And on the side of the shell is painted one word."

"Stark." Wanda seethed. "We wait for two days for Tony Stark to kill us."

"I wondered why only you two survived Strucker's experiments." Ultron nodded. "Now I don't. We will make it right. You and I can hurt them." He says, looking at Pietro before turning to Wanda. "But you will tear them apart from the inside."

Her eyes shot open, a gasp falling from her lips as she sat up. She could feel the beads of sweat trickling down her face.

Haven shook her head, standing up and walking to the elevator before riding 9 levels down to the kitchen.

Her bare feet were cold on the floor, but she didn't care much. Her mind felt flooded and cluttered. It had felt that way since she came to earth.

"Oh." She said quietly, walking into the kitchen and seeing Steve standing with the refrigerator door open, wearing plaid blue pajama pants and a gray sweatshirt that had Brooklyn written across the front. He pulled out the jug of milk and turned around, seeing her for the first time.

"Hey, what're you doing up at 3 in the morning?" He asked, pouring the milk into two glasses. One for him, and one that he offered to Haven, who gladly accepted.

She leaned against the counter, looking down to see her white silk pajama pants and black tank-top.  "Bad dream- or no. It was real, but it wasn't good."

"What was it?" He asked, resting his elbow on the counter and putting his weight on it.

Haven shook her head, looking down. "He got the twins. Ultron got to the Maximoffs."

"Oh god," Steve mumbled. "We've got to-"

"In the morning. It can wait 4 more hours. The team won't be any good if you wake them up right now." She reassured, placing her palm on his forearm. She could feel his heart racing. He was stressed. "What's wrong?" Haven asked. "Why are you awake so late at night?"

"I just couldn't sleep. Lately, it seems like I can't turn my mind off." Steve said, stepping away from her and pacing to the middle of the room. "I don't know what's wrong with me. There are times when I find myself wondering why I even care enough to fight anymore, wondering what the point of all of this is."