39, It Always Ends

The triplet landed in Bucharest a mere 5 minutes after leaving, Haven taking them straight to the roof of his apartment.

"Is he here?" Steve asked, patting down his suit.

She shook her head. "He's not yet, but on his way. We have about 7 minutes until he gets here. We need a plan, Captain."

Steve nodded, looking at Sam. "I want you to stay on the roof. Fill us in on everything you see." Sam nodded and Steve turned to her. "You and I are going in. We'll wait in his room until he gets home. Hopefully, we can talk him out and escape cleanly. If not, then we do what we do best."

Fight.

Haven took a breath, looking around the area. "We should go. He's 4 minutes out."

And with that, the team split into two. Steve and Haven jogged into the building, making it to his room in no time.

She felt a ping in her heart as she looked around, saddened by the way he was forced to live. She could tell Steve was distraught as well.

The walls were stained, his bed was mostly springs, and he had a shelf made of cinderblocks and wooden planks.

Steve stepped up to the refrigerator, picking up a small notebook. Opening it, he saw an image of himself.

The words, he was my friend he was my friend, were scribbled into the margins over and over again.

The same words Bucky had spoken to Haven months ago.

"Heads up, Cap. German Special Forces, approaching from the south." Sam said through the coms.

Steve replied, not looking up from the book. "Understood."

Haven saw him first, knowing the second he walked in. She turned, meeting his eyes with those of sorrow and compassion.

He stared at her, taking breath after breath. It almost seemed like her presence was a relief like it was good to finally see her again.

She's the one that promised to save him after all.

Steve turned seconds later, confused by Haven's silence. He took a deep breath. "Do you know me?"

Bucky stared at him, eyes focused and determined. "You're Steve. I read about you in a museum."

"There's no time for the lying," Haven said, her voice gentle but authoritative.

"They've set the perimeter," Sam said.

"I know you're nervous," Steve said, placing the book on the countertop. "You have plenty of reason to be."

"I wasn't in Vienna. I don't do that anymore." He replied, his voice deep and crisp.

Haven nodded, "we know."

"They're entering the building."

"The people who think you did are coming here now, and they're not planning on taking you alive," Steve said, stepping up.

Haven watched with worry behind her eyes. They only had seconds to escape.

"That's smart." Bucky nodded, tilting his head up at Steve. "Good strategy."

"They're on the roof. I'm compromised." Sam said as Haven heard the footsteps hammering above them.

"This doesn't have to end in a fight, Buck."

Bucky took slow, deep breaths. Removing the glove from his metal hand, he sighed. "It always ends in a fight."

"Five seconds."