52, The Best Parts

The group walked into the compound with authority. Steve and Natasha led the way, with Haven, Bucky, Sam, Wanda, and Vision behind them.

"Mr. Secretary," Steve said as they entered the main conference room seeing Rhodey and a hologram of Secretary Ross.

"You've got some nerve," Ross said, stepping toward the soldier. "I'll give you that."

Natasha nodded. "You could use some of that right now."

"The worlds on fire. And you think all is forgiven?"

Steve tilted his head, looking down on the man. "I'm not looking for forgiveness. And I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender. So we're here to fight. And if you wanna stand in our way, we'll fight you too."

Ross turned back to Rhodey, "arrest them."

"All over it," he replied, turning the hologram off. "It's really great to see all of you."

"You too, Rhodey," Nat said, hugging him.

Rhodey laughed, "you guys really look like crap."

"Uh... I think you look great."

Haven turned with wide eyes and the second she saw him, relief flooded her senses. "Bruce."

He nodded, giving a weak smile. "I made it back."

The blonde woman let out a breath. "We need to formulate a plan. They are coming back and they can find us."

"We need all hands on deck. Where's Clint?" Bruce asked.

"After the whole Accords situation, he and Scott took a deal. It was too tough on their families. They're on house arrest." Nat replied.

Bruce furrowed his brows. "Who's Scott?"

"Ant-Man."

"There's an Ant-Man and a Spider-Man?" He asked before shaking his head, clearly changing the subject. "Okay, look. Thanos has the biggest army in the universe and he is not gonna stop until he gets... Vision's stone."

"Then we have to protect it," Natasha said.

"No, " Vision started, leaning against a window. "We have to destroy it. I've been giving a good deal of thought to this entity in my head. About its nature. But also its composition. I think if it were exposed to a sufficiently powerful energy source, something very similar to its own signature, perhaps its molecular integrity could fail."

Wanda stared him down, "yeah, and you with it. We're not having this conversation."

"Eliminating the stone is the only way to be certain that Thanos can't get it." Vision said.

She shook her head. "That's too high a price."

"Only you have the power to pay it."

Steve let out a breath, standing across the room with Haven and Bucky. "We don't trade lives, Vision."

"Captain, 70 years ago, you laid down your life to save how many millions of people? Tell me, why is this any different?"

Bruce looked up. "Because you might have a choice. Your mind is made up of a complex construct of overlays. Jarvis, Ultron, Tony, me, the stone. All of them mixed together, all of them learning from one another."

"You're saying Vision isn't just the stone?" Wanda asked, hope clear in her voice.

"I'm saying, if we take out the stone, there's still a whole lot of Vision left."

Haven nodded, "perhaps even the best parts."

"Can we do that?" Natasha asked.

Bruce shook his head. "Not me, not here."

"Well, you better find someone and somewhere fast. Ross isn't just gonna let you guys have your old rooms back." Rhodey said.

Haven looked at Steve, the pair sharing a thought. The soldier nodded, "I know somewhere."

-- -- --

Edited 6/19/21 13:23Word Count: 583

Word Count: 583

Re-Edited 8/29/21 12:37
Word Count: 593