16, Make Sure of It

Haven opened her eyes to the sound of gunfire and explosions. Looking up, she saw the helicarriers shooting rounds at each other.

A smile found its way to her lips, they had done it.

Haven stood up, the ache in her bones menacing but she pushed on. Lifting into the air, she was in the helicopter with Fury, Natasha, and Sam within seconds.

"Thank god, Haven, where were you?" Nat asked, turning to face her.

Haven let out a breath, "on the ground. Where's Steve?"

Natasha shook her head, silently telling the blonde woman that they didn't know.

Closing her eyes, Haven searched, needing to find him before he got himself into more trouble. She could see that he was still in one of the helicarriers, fighting Bucky, but she didn't know which one.

"Hill, do you know which carrier Rogers is in?" She asked through her coms, hoping Maria could help.

When Hill replied that she wasn't sure, Haven went in again. She needed a number.

She heard Bucky scream first, making her blood churn. Looking up, Haven watched as Steve jumped down. He stumbled, gripping onto the fallen beam that was laying on top of Bucky.

She noticed the gunshot wounds and the stab marks throughout his body, wincing from the fact that she couldn't help. She watched as he groaned, lifting the beam off of Bucky.

"You know me." He breathed, watching as Bucky struggled to stand.

The Winter Solder lashed out, slamming his metal arm into Steve. "No, I don't!"

Haven felt the tears rolling down her cheeks as she reached out, wanting to grab the boy and save him. But her touch fell straight through because once again, she wasn't even there.

"Bucky..." Steve panted, struggling to breathe. "You've known me your whole life."

He screamed, punching Steve again. Haven cried harder, watching the pain in his eyes from another world. A world where she could only stand there alone. No way to save either of them.

"Your name is James Buchanan Barnes."

"Shut up!" Bucky yelled, lunging forward and throwing Steve's beaten body to the ground.

"Stop!" Haven heard herself scream, to no one at all. The tears fell faster, flooding with the knowledge of a ruined boy.

Steve hit the ground hard, hesitating to stand back up. As he did, he threw his helmet to the ground, displaying his messy blonde hair. "I'm not gonna fight you, " he said, dropping his shield into a hole in the glass. It fell for miles before splashing into the ocean below. "You're my friend."

Bucky slammed into Steve, heaving his body to the ground with a smack. "You're my mission." He seethed, rearing back and punching Steve with such rage Haven felt herself fall to her knees.

"Stop it!" She screamed again, wanting everything to end. Seeing Bucky like this broke her heart, mostly because she was too busy with other things to even think about looking for him. She could've saved him 70 years ago if she hadn't have been so selfish.

"You're my mission!" Bucky repeated, slamming the metal on his fist into the flesh of Steve's face a couple more times. When he stopped to catch his breath, his eyes clouded over, thousands of emotions rushing to the surface at once.

"Then finish it," Steve mumbled through his facial injuries. "Cause I'm with you till the end of the line."

Haven watched with wide eyes as Bucky lowered his arm, eyes frantic with realization.