17, The Way Things Were

The song played softly from the device Sam had plugged in. He left about 30 minutes ago, saying he wanted to go home and shower.

Haven didn't. A little bit because she didn't have a home to shower in, but mostly because she just didn't want to leave. She liked it here, in the quiet company of a man she's grown to care for.

It's been a little over a week since she found them in the mall, yet she's known him for a little over 71 years. But who's counting?

Haven closed the book in her hand, The Cruel Prince. A suggestion by Nat to pass the time. Looking up, she saw the bruise on Steve's cheek.

It flared a million different colors, from purple, to green, to black. His lip was busted and he had several gashes along his cheekbones and jaw.

Haven turned, putting the book on the bedside table and reaching out, placing her hand on top of his. The warmth of his skin sent a feeling through her spine that she couldn't place.

The first thing she thought of was Jane and Thor. Asgardian and human. Yet, they seemed to work it out. They seemed to be in love. For better or for worse, Thor told her once when she asked how they did it.

Steve's fingers moved, his thumb rubbing the back of her hand softly. When she looked up, she immediately found herself drowning in the blue of his eyes.

"You're awake, " Haven breathed, a smile pulling the corner of her lips up.

Steve returned the favor, giving her a small grin. "I'm awake."

"Do you need anything? Water? Pudding? I don't really know how human injuries work. I can probably go get a nurs-"

"I'm okay. I don't need anything." Steve cut in, chuckling lightly. "Did we win?"

"We won," Haven replied, moving her other hand up to enclose his one in both of hers. "I got to Bucky before they did. I've shown him the memories and he left, he's safe."

She saw him visibly relax, a weight lifting from his shoulders. "Thank you. Really. You have no clue how much that means to me."

"It wasn't a problem."

Steve looked around, seeing all the flowers and cards people had left him. "So, how long have you been watching? In your... Sights? Is that what you called them?"

"Yeah, my Sights." She said, looking up and meeting his eyes. "On my 15th birthday, I had my first vision of you. Since then, I have gotten them at least three times a week. I've seen you grow into the man you are today."

"How old are you?"

"I'm 86."

Steve laughed, "so I'm still older?"

Haven nodded, smiling with him. When he finally stopped to catch his breath, she saw his eyes go sullen. His thoughts running wild behind the bright blue exterior. "What is it?" She asked, furrowing her eyebrows at his change in expression.

Steve glanced over, looking at her with such intensity that Haven feared she may burst into flames. "We never got the chance to discuss your heritage."

Haven sighed, looking down and pulling her hands away from his. "Have I not done my part? Have I not shown you where my true loyalties lie?"

"No, you have, and that's not what I wanted to talk about." He replied, his voice rising slightly if only to get her attention. Haven found herself looking back at him, silently telling the soldier to go on. "I just wanted to know if you were okay. I mean, coming here must not have been easy after what he did in New York. You've got to have guts to do something like that."