46, A Wise King

Her eyes flew open, sweat drenching her hair. Her chest raised and fell quickly, her mind swarming with too many questions for herself to keep up.

Her throat was dry and rasped. She wondered how long she had been screaming.

"Haven. Haven!" He said, his hand on her cheek as he tried to get her to focus. "Hey, look at me, " he cooed.

And she did.

She let herself look him in the eye, focusing on the deep blue. If just for a second, he was the only thing in the entire world.

But then the second passed, and panic flooded back in.

"What happened?" He asked, his hand rubbing up and down her back. He went underneath her tank top, knowing she needed to feel him.

They had only been asleep for about two hours before the sun came up and Haven's Sights threw her into a fit of hysteria. Hours passed with the pair tangled in the sheets, or in the bath, or simply cuddling and talking about a future they might want together.

Things all newlyweds do, of course.

Haven let out a breath, placing her palms on her neck as she tried to calm her breathing.

"Hela, she's mad. Thor's on his way but I don't know if he'll get there in time. She's ready to start executing people."

Steve sighed, resting his forehead on her shoulder. "Do you wanna know a secret?" She turned, looking down at him and nodding. "I'm scared. If you go, and something happens, I'll never-"

"Nothings going to happen to me," Haven said, cutting him off with a soft smile.

But truth be told, she knew she wasn't a match for Hela. Not even close. In her mind, she was begging Thor to hurry up so maybe she wouldn't have to go.

Haven blinked and felt the corners of her vision blurring. Her eyes went wide with panic, she didn't want to see anymore. She couldn't be helpless anymore. "No, no- Steve! Ste-"

She was cut off by her own mind plummeting her into her subconscious. When her eyes opened again, she was in the palace throne room.

His steps were loud, echoing as he got closer and closer to the infamous chair. His long blonde hair had been cut. She thought it looked nice.

He let out a breath, grabbed a staff, and sat down. Thor wasted no time, slamming the staff into the ground and drawing her attention to him.

She was there in a matter of minutes.

"Sister." He said, tilting his head at her.

Hela cocked an eyebrow. "You're still alive."

"I love what you've done with the place." He said, looking around. "Redecorating, I see."

"It seems our father's only solution to every problem was to cover it up."

"Or to cast it out." He added. "He told you you were worthy? He said the same thing to me."

"You see?" She said, her voice smooth and manipulative. "You never knew him. Not at his best. Odin and I drowned entire civilizations in blood and tears."

Haven blinked and she was back on her bed. She felt cold and damp. It wasn't until Steve reached up and wiped her cheeks with his thumb that she realized she was crying.

"Haven, I think you should-"

He didn't get to finish. Her Sights had other plans for her today.

"You know, Father once told me that a wise king never seeks out war..." Thor started, walking towards her.

Hela smirked. "But must always be ready for it."

And then they ran,  full speed at each other.

Haven jumped back, startled and trying to get out of the way. They fought hard, Thor even throwing Hela through Haven's ghost.

"To be honest, I expected more." Hela seethed, shoving the blonde man to the ground.

"Haven!" Steve shouted, standing over the Asgardian. She had fallen onto her back, her eyes closed and breathing labored. Tears rolled down her cheeks and her face crinkled in pain. "Haven, open your eyes."

Gasping, the blonde shot up, her eyes wide in fear. "She-"

"Shhh..." Steve cooed, pulling her to his chest. He held her for a good minute as she tried to calm herself down before her body went limp again. "Haven?"

He tilted her back, seeing that her eyes had closed. He laid her onto the bed, watching with concern.

Haven sucked in a breath, gasping before her mouth fell open in screams. "Stop!" She shouted, her lids still sealed.

A gust of wind shot from her hands and Steve ducked down, hearing a loud crash from behind him.

"What the hell is going on?" He heard someone yell downstairs, loud footsteps following.

"I swear if you guys are screwing-" Natasha was cut off, her mouth falling agape as she swung the door open. "Oh my god." She breathed, running over and grabbing onto the blonde woman's arm.

"What's happening to her?" Bucky asked, standing behind Nat. His eyes read only worry and fear.

Steve ran a hand through his hair, shaking his head. "It's a Sight. Something on Asgard. I don't-"

And she was back, gasping for air and sitting up. Her hand clung to her chest, trying desperately to fill her lungs. "Make it stop. I can't do this. Make it-"

It was useless. Her eyes closed back up and her body fell onto Steve.

"I've gotta do something." He said, holding her close to him. "Buck, go turn the shower on as hot as it will go. Hurry."

Bucky complied, jogging into the bathroom. Seconds later, the shower was heard from inside.

Steve nodded. "Okay." He muttered to himself. His arms reached under her knees and around her back and he lifted her up. He went fast, setting her down under the scolding water.

It worked.

Haven's eyes shot open and she let out a deep breath. He wondered how long she had been holding it.

Nobody spoke. Haven sat under the water, her mind swimming with thoughts. Steve kneeled beside the rails, running his hand over her hair. Natasha stood by the door, Bucky just behind her.

Haven took a deep breath, wiping the tears out from under her eyes and nodding.

"I have to go."

-- -- --

Edited 6/19/21 11:52Word Count: 1048

Word Count: 1048

Re-Edited 8/29/21 12:27
Word Count: 1058