14, Coming Up Blank

"This man declined the Nobel Peace Prize." Fury stated, looking down at a picture of Alexander Pierce, the man from Haven's Sight merely minutes ago. "He said peace wasn't an achievement, it was a responsibility. See, it's stuff like this that gives me trust issues."

"We have to stop the launch," Natasha said from her seat beside Haven. They took the two chairs at the table while Steve and Sam opted to stand behind them.

Fury shook his head, "I don't think the Council's accepting my calls anymore." He opened a black case, revealing three blue electronic chips.

"What are those?" The blonde woman asked, looking away from the chips and up at the one-eyed man.

"Once the helicarriers reach 3,000 feet, they'll triangulate with Insights satellites, becoming fully weaponized," Hill replied, showing a diagram on a computer screen.

Fury gave a nod to his partner. "We need to breach those carriers and replace their targeting blades with our own."

"One or two won't cut it. We need to link all three carriers for this to work because if even one of those ships remains operational, a whole lot of people are gonna die."

"We have to assume everyone aboard those carriers is HYDRA. We have to get past them and insert these server blades. Then maybe, just maybe, we can salvage what's left-"

"We're not salvaging anything, " Steve spat, interrupting Fury as he and Hill tried to explain the mission. "We're not just taking down the carriers, Nick. We're taking down S.H.I.E.L.D."

"S.H.I.E.L.D. had nothing to do with this." Fury replied, seemingly aggravated by the soldier.

Haven looked over at Nick, "you said it yourself, S.H.I.E.L.D has been compromised." She said, earning an extremely confused expression from him, seeing as he didn't know she was there for that conversation.

"You gave me this mission, this is how it ends. HYDRA grew right under your nose and nobody noticed." Steve added, his voice hard and determined.

Nick scoffed, almost chuckling. "Why do you think we're meeting in this cave? I noticed."

"How many paid the price before you did?"

"Look, I didn't know about Barnes."

"Even if you had, would you have told me? Or would you have compartmentalized that, too? S.H.I.E.L.D., HYDRA, it all goes."

"He's right," Hill said, reassuringly nodding to Fury.

Nick leaned back, almost seeming to relax. "Well... it looks like you're giving the orders now, Captain."

Steve didn't say much more, giving a simple nod and turning on his heels to walk away. Natasha did the same, walking over to a bed, probably wanting to get some sleep before they began. Sam laid down a couple of beds over, respectfully giving her the space she needed.

Haven watched them leave before following him. They may already have a mission, but she had one of her own now.

The air outside was chilly and crisp, feeling quite different from earlier today. Walking towards him, she couldn't help but notice the beauty before her. From him, to the trees, to the flowing river below them.

"We can save him," Haven said, standing beside Steve on the bridge.

His eyes left the river, finding hers with intrigue. "How?"

"All I need from you is a few memories."

"Of what?" He asked, turning his body so his shoulders were squared with hers. She could see how anxious he was in his eyes, it swarmed behind the blue, trying to hide but failing miserably.

"Just close your eyes and think of some of the happiest times you spent with him." And as he obliged, Haven wasted no time reaching forward and leaching the Memory Orbs from his temple. Closing her palm, they disappeared into her skin, hiding away until the time came for her to enter. "All done."

Steve opened his eyes, the blue burning a hole through hers. "I keep asking myself why I trust you, why I let you in faster than anyone else, but I keep coming up blank."

Haven let out a breath, saying nothing as they stood there.

"There's just something about you." He muttered softly, looking away from her and back down to the river. "Gear up, it's time."

-- -- --

Edited 6/17/21 16:43Word Count: 705

Word Count: 705

Re-Edited 8/29/21 10:40
Word Count: 715