18, Ensure The Reality

"Can I have this dance?"

Haven turned, seeing Steve standing above her with his hand outstretched towards her. She smiled, nodding and taking his hand.

The two joined Tony and Nat on the dance floor, the other members still eating in their seats.

"Tell me, Captain, how do Midgardians dance?" Haven grinned, placing her hands on his shoulders.

Steve's palms found her waist and he chuckled, "we just move."

The two swayed to the soft melody played by the live band on the stage. A smile stayed glued to each face, proving that they did enjoy each other thoroughly.

"So, Captain-"

"You know, my name is Steve. You don't have to keep calling me Captain." He cut in, laughing lightly.

Haven smirked, shaking her head. "I like it." As he glanced down at his feet, she chuckled. "Now, Captain, why doesn't a handsome man like yourself have a girlfriend?"

Steve let out a breath, looking back up at her with a shrug. "I guess I was just having trouble finding someone with shared life experience."

"What do you mean by that?"

"Someone who's been around as long as I have. Someone who has seen the things I've seen."

Haven laughed loudly, "oh, so you're into old ladies?"

"Something like that, yeah." He smiled, his thumb rubbing thin lines on the fabric covering her back. It was a small motion, but she caught it all the same. It sent a flood of butterflies swarming into her stomach.

"Hi, mind if I cut in?"

Steve turned, shaking his head and walking over to the table, leaving Haven alone on the dance floor with Tony.

She wasn't necessarily bothered by it, seeing as she hadn't gotten a reason to dislike Tony, yet. Though, she was enjoying the moment she and Mr. America were sharing.

"Rumor has it, your Loki's offspring."

"Rumors are correct." She replied, looking up at him to see that he wasn't phased by it. The dark-headed man simply nodded.

"Listen, I didn't intend on butting into your little gooey-eyed moment with the spangled man, but I needed to ask you something."

"Go ahead."

Tony smiled, his hands resting on the small of her back as he guided her around the dance floor. "We have an extra room at Stark Tower. A couple of the other Avengers are living there right now, like Steve, Nat, Bruce, and myself. If you want, we'd be happy to have you. I know Steve would."

Haven found that her feet had stopped as she stared up at him, overwhelmed by his offer. "You want me to live with the Avengers?"

"No, I want you to become an Avenger. Then, living with us wouldn't be such a big thing at all."

She smiled, wrapping the brilliant man in a hug. "Thank you, Tony. You have no idea how much this means to me."

Later that night, after everyone went back to their hotel rooms to pack, Haven found herself feeling genuinely happy for the first time in a while.

Once she had all of her belongings tucked neatly into a bag, she hopped into the shower, wanting to be refreshed for her new home.

Home. A rather odd word in her opinion, one that had so much meaning yet so few letters.

The water was blazing, turned up to full heat as it rained down on her skin. Blood rushed through her body, making her flesh slowly morph into a rosy color.

The pain prickled over every inch of her body, the burning sensation just what she needed to stay sane. Under any other circumstances, burning meant the end for her. The end of her ability, the end of her companion, and ultimately, the end of her life.

But now, burning her skin in a hot shower, meant nothing more than little red splotches on her flesh. It felt good. It felt empowering.

After she was clean, Haven climbed out and let the blue-green mist fall down her body. It reminded her of her father, bringing the faintest of smiles to her face.

"Thought you might enjoy some company on the ride to New York."

She jumped, started by the man sitting on her bed. "How long have you been there?" She asked, closing the bathroom door behind her as she walked towards him.

Steve shrugged, "maybe 10 minutes. I heard the shower on so I didn't wanna disturb you."

Haven nodded, a smile playing on her lips. "Well, let's go."

And they did. Steve insisted they take a jet to New York because he figured she needed a break, but she knew it was because he wasn't a fan of flying by ability.

After being on the jet for some time, Steve spoke up, placing his newspaper on the seat next to him. "Can you see Buck?"

Haven looked up, meeting his eye. She gave a faint nod, "he's doing great. He managed to find a place to live and is hiding extremely well. He's going to be just fine."

Steve let out a breath, relaxing with this information. About 10 minutes later, they landed on Stark Tower.

It was magnificent, a place Haven had only seen through Sights until now. She felt the need to pinch herself, just to ensure the reality of it all.

"You share the 19th floor with Natasha, we'll have dinner on the 10th floor at 6:00. See you then."

And with that, he was gone.

-- -- --

Edited 6/17/21 18:23Word Count: 919

Word Count: 919

Re-Edited 8/29/21 11:08
Word Count: 929