Fei Qianchi knew that behind that smile, Chan Lihua was suffering but he didn't say anything else.

"Come and eat before the soup turns cold." Chan Lihua didn't let Fei Qianchi say another word as she helped him sit on the chair.

Fei Qianchi silently reached for a white bun. His small hands held the bun and carefully bit into it. There was nothing in the bun, only dough, but still, he ate and savored the bun.

"If it's too dry, dip it in some soup." Chan Lihua smiled, watching her son eat.

"Mother, you should eat too." Fei Qianchi brought up, seeing that Chan Lihua hadn't touch anything yet.

"En, I just wanted to watch you eat. It seems like you've grown again." Chan Lihua couldn't hide the sad light in her eyes that Fei Qianchi immediately noticed.

But he didn't bring it up, knowing well that Chan Lihua had always tried to hide her sorrow and pain. Under the table, his small fist was clenched tightly. Though Fei Qianchi wanted so much to protect his mother, he couldn't do anything. He could only watch as Chan Lihua was tormented everyday by Madam Fei and his father, Fei Jiansheng. Everyday, he could only watch as the servants treated Chan Lihua harshly.

Fei Qianchi's eyes watched Chan Lihua intently as she finally reached out a hand to grab a bun and slowly bit into it. Taking a bite of the bun, she drunk a spoon of soup, her every move filled with elegance.

Although Fei Qianchi didn't know, Chan Lihua had always spoke that she used to come from a powerful family. Unfortunately, things changed and she got married to Fei Jiansheng by force, where she later suffered in this residence as she became the concubine of a man that already had a wife.

Fei Qianchi's mind was filled as he ate the bun. His small face didn't give away his thoughts and Chan Lihua watched with a light smile.

A boy of only ten years old, Fei Qianchi was too mature for his age. It came with the long years of living in this wretched residence, having to bear the weight of being an illegitimate child, and the torturing of Madam Fei.

Fei Qianchi knew that Madam Fei thought worse of Chan Lihua, physically torturing her with hard work. Even though Chan Lihua's body was weak from an old illness, she could never get a day of rest. Fei Qianchi wanted to protect her but his body was too small for that. Not to mention, although he had taught himself, he still could only cultivate by just a bit. Fei Jiansheng didn't care for Chan Lihua, thus the two of them lived everyday like this.

"Mother, are you doing anything tonight?" Fei Qianchi noticed that the sun was already setting and his big eyes turned to look at Chan Lihua with a small light.

Chan Lihua's lips lifted into a gentle smile as her eyes glowed mischievously, "Why? Do you want mother to sing to you again?" Her sickly features were unable to mask her playful personality.

Fei Qianchi lightly nodded his head as he drunk the last of his soup. It was one of the few things he could enjoy in this world, the singing of his mother.

Chan Lihua's smile widened, her eyes lighting up, as the two finished the meal, Chan Lihua stood and helped Fei Qianchi. "Let's get you ready for bed first. Afterwards, I'll prepare a song to sing for you." She held onto Fei Qianchi's hand, unable to mask the happiness in her voice.

Fei Qianchi followed along, nodding his head gently. He went along with everything that Chan Lihua did, letting her get him groomed and ready for bed. As he laid on the hard bed with a small blanket, his eyes were very peaceful. It didn't take long for Chan Lihua to also come into the bedroom, now dressed in lighter clothing than before. Her white hair was flowing over her back, a small smile on her face that made her appear even more beautiful.