151

There was a small boy sitting under the tree. His body was scrawny, thin and small, but his eyes were bright. Even though his clothes were tattered and filled with holes, he sat under the tree with a peaceful silence. His head of white hair was captivating, bright blue eyes that shone under the sun. Fei Qianchi turned his head towards the distance.

"Qianchi!" A woman's voice was heard from the distance. Her thin body walked towards the small boy, a bright smile on her face. Chan Lihua was dressed in a plain robe. She was also thin, but it was unable to mar her beauty. Her white hair was pinned back by a single hairpin.

Unlike Fei Qianchi, Chan Lihua's eyes were brown. Her lips were full and pink, with almond eyes and delicate brows. Her cheeks were a bit sunken in, but it was unable to take away from the beauty that she possessed as she walked with graceful steps.

Fei Qianchi smiled, his cheeks that were slightly chubby lifted. "Mother." Standing up, his legs ran towards Chan Lihua.

Chan Lihua's smile turned even brighter as she reached her hand out to Fei Qianchi, "How has my son been doing today?"

"The same as always, mother. Did... did Madam Fei call for you again?" Fei Qianchi's voice turned a bit quieter as his eyes looked up towards Chan Lihua, grasping onto her hand tighter.

Chan Lihua's expression didn't change, even as her eyes flickered. "No, mother just had some matters to attend to." She bended her knees slightly, looking at Fei Qianchi face-to-face and her pale hand lifted to rub his cheeks. "Don't worry, although mother is weak, I can still protect you."

Fei Qianchi looked at his mother's eyes, soft and both gentle, his head nodding. "I know, then shall we go, mother?" His voice was very soft, but his words were mature. The way that he acted and spoke was very mature for his age, even as no teachers had ever taught him such things.

"Yes, it is getting late. Come here, let mother hold your hand." Chan Lihua stood up as her right hand held Fei Qianchi's left hand in her own.

Fei Qianchi knew that his mother was hiding something, but he didn't ask, knowing that Chan Lihua was hiding it on purpose. After all, he knew how much his mother suffered in this place. Still, like a child who didn't know anything, he merely followed what she said, not questioning it.

As the two walked away from the tree, one bigger and one smaller, it truly depicted how close their relationship was.

Fei Qianchi hid behind Chan Lihua, hiding away from all the disgusted stares of the servants as they walked past them.

Chan Lihua continued walking, as if she wasn't affected.

When the area began to clear, many of the servants were no longer seen, and they finally arrived at a desolate courtyard. The courtyard was broken and in ruins, weed over-growing. But still, the two walked inside as if it were only normal.

Fei Qianchi rushed into the courtyard, with Chan Lihua laughing as she followed. Inside, a small meal was already set. A few buns were within a bowl and two bowls of soup were set up. For others, this was a meal that even the servants of this residence didn't eat. For the two, it was a lavish meal.

Fei Qianchi looked at the food, his delicate face filled with questioning. "Mother, did you sell your artifacts again?" When times got too rough, Fei Qianchi knew that Chan Lihua would take her precious artifacts and sell them off for only a few copper coins. Obviously, she was losing so money by doing so but she could only move so that Fei Jiansheng, his father, wouldn't find out what she was doing.

Chan Lihua still smiled, "No, this time, I had some time to embroider a few small purses and I secretly sold them off. Even though I look weak like this, I was once a strong cultivator." She smiled brightly, showing no signs of mistreatment.