a great return

"Cory! That is a terrible idea!" Topanga shouted, almost cuffing him upside the head

"What? My parents heard from her parents that she is home!" Cory defended, "I thought it was only fitting she come and visit us here at home. It's been two years since we've seen her!"

"Yeah but does she know Eric is here?" Shawn interjected, narrowing his brows.

"Or does Eric know she's coming?" Topanga added.

"Well... I might've left that part out," Cory whispered, "I may have told her he was gone."

"This is going to be a shitshow." 

-- 

Madison felt her heart leap into her throat as she pulled up to the Matthews' house. 2 years, 2 long years since she had been here, 2 years since she had her heart ripped out of her throat. 

She cringed slightly, reminding herself that Cory had assured her that Eric was staying at Pennbrook for the holidays with his new roommates. Something irked her about that, but he wasn't her problem anymore. And she wanted to see Amy, as she had heard the news about the baby. This trip was about seeing Cory and Amy, not Eric. 

Even with her little pep talk, she felt frozen in her seat. There were going to be so many questions - are you just visiting? What have you been doing for the last 2 years? How's England? What do you mean you're moving back home? Weren't you good enough for Oxford?

Madison growled in response to her own thoughts, aggressively throwing open the door. It wasn't the time for a pity party. The walk was familiar to the front door, although she almost went to the side. Surprising them that way probably wouldn't end up well. 

"One second!" Cory's voice echoed as she knocked on the door. 

Her anxiety peaked as the door swung open, revealing Shawn, Cory, Topanga, and a beautiful girl she didn't recognize. 

"Madison!" Topanga was the first to shout, rushing forwards for a hug. 

Topanga and her had talked extensively about college over the phone last year, and Madison had to admit she was a little disappointed Topanga decided not to go to Yale. It hurt a little to know that Topanga was willing to stay for her boyfriend but Madison wasn't. 

"Merry Christmas!" Madison greeted. 

Amy and Alan rushed to the door to greet her as well, both pulling her into a tight hug. Madison let out exclamations of congratulations to the expecting couple as they let her fully come into their house. It was already alive with Christmas decorations. 

She felt like she was home. 

--

"So you're coming back to Philly?" Alan clarified. 

"That I am," Madison said stiffly. 

Thank god for them not pushing her any farther with her answer, as she wouldn't have told them anyways. Only her parents and her sister knew what really happened.