an unexpected trip

The bright sun of the Bahamas peeked through the curtains with an ethereal glow that brought a smile to Madison's face

The bright sun of the Bahamas peeked through the curtains with an ethereal glow that brought a smile to Madison's face. Her family's vacations were usually ones of rainy places filled with history and knowledge, but never sun and relaxation. It was a shame she hadn't experienced it sooner. 

Eric was out doing god knows what to help Cory and Topanga on their honeymoon. Madison appreciated his willingness to make his brother and new sister's honeymoon perfect, she just wished he'd spend a little more time with her. Alone time was always something that she looked forwards to, but being alone from early in the morning until late at night in a place as beautiful as this? Terrible. 

Madison rolled onto her back, stretching her arms far above her head and groaning softly. It was nearing 9am now, and she desperately wanted to get a good spot by the pool. The previous day had been a 10 minute negotiation with a very put-out woman who claimed that the seat Madison was attempting to plop on was 'hers'. Really put a damper on her relaxation. As she rolled over, she half expected to hit the warm body that had slept near her for most of the night, but alas, he was already gone. They had plans later that night for dinner and Madison prayed that he wouldn't forget. 

It had been a whirlwind couple days getting here and getting everything set up. Madison didn't know how he had paid for all of this but decided against questioning the mad man, and questioning this delightful vacation. The soft hum of the people outside and the crash of the waves filled her heart with joy and she wanted Eric to be there with her. 

This was the end of the line, the final year. They were supposed to go forwards out into life and decide everything they wanted to be. It scared the living day lights out of her. Did she go for her masters? Did she find a new place to live? Did she stay in Pennsylvania? There were too many decisions. And what about Eric? What was he going to do? Would he continue to work at his dad's place? Would he go back to mooching off of his parents? Where would he go? 

There was one thing she knew, wherever he went, she would be there with him. 

--

Night somehow made the entire resort look more beautiful, the choices in lighting they made cascading it in a soft glow. Madison wished she could fly above the space and see everyone from out of her own body, the light making everything look ten times better. She wasn't sure if that was a good or bad thing. 

"Mads!"

A giant smile spread across her face as the familiar head of Eric Matthews came into view. He looked nice, a pair of shorts, a tank top, and a nice silk button up hanging open on his frame. Madison had opted for a striped romper that accentuated her long legs. 

"Eric," Madison mused, happy to finally see him. 

Unexpectedly, Eric rushed towards her, catching her in a giant hug. They rarely showed public displays of affection, save for constant handholding or a random kiss on the cheek, so she was surprised, but happily accepted. There was something so achingly wonderful about his hugs, how tightly he held on and never let go, always waiting for the other person to end it first. 

"What was that about?" Madison giggled as she pulled away. 

"I can't hug my beautiful girlfriend?" Eric snarked, taking her hand in his. 

An eye roll was all he got for the moment. 

The pair quickly found their restaurant of choice, a small little corner shop with lots of beautiful wooden sculptures and plants hanging. The hostess immediately recognized them and moved to seat them at their favourite spot, the table overlooking the wide expanse of beautiful ocean. Even in the pitch black, Madison could see the fluid motions of the waves in the soft moonlight. 

"So..." Eric began. 

"Mmm?" Madison responded, eyes focused on the menu. 

"What do you think about this whole... wedding thing?" Eric inquired. 

Her eyes snapped up immediately. 

"Like, Topanga and Cory... it's kinda weird that they're married huh?" Eric clarified, his cheeks tinging with pink. 

"Oh," Madison answered, feeling disappointed but couldn't place why, "It is a little strange. I mean, even I've known them since we were kids. Weird to think they got married before us."

Eric's eyebrow shot up on his forehead at her wording.

"I don't mean us, I just mean that us individually as older people... especially you as his older brother and..." Madison fumbled, "You know what... forget I said anything."

Eric chuckled and cast his eyes down on his menu. 

--

"What would you do if I proposed right now?"

Madison's heart caught in her throat, the darkness of the room hiding her facial expression but her breathing not concealing the fact that she was awake. 

"I- I don't know," Madison said honestly. 

The pair were cuddled up with each other on the queen bed, the moonlight shining through the opened blinds but the rest of the room swallowed up by inky nothingness. Madison had assumed Eric had fallen asleep already, his shallow breathing and silence convincing. 

"Is that a good or bad thing?" he asked. 

Her getting married? To Eric? After graduation? Or now? At 21? It all seemed... so much. 

"I don't know." 

--

Sorry for such spaced out updates, finals kicked my butt! 

Also, in regards to continuity, Eric technically doesn't begin working at his dad's until later in the season but I thought it best to just keep that as an ongoing thing. See y'all in the next chapter!!