a bittersweet end

"Madison?"

"Madison?"

"Hi Mom."

While the last of the goodbyes continued on, Madison had made a last attempt at making sure everything was right in her world. Eric, and everyone else, had reacted positively to the news that another marriage was perhaps in the works, but Madison could only feel bad. She had to make everything right before she could move on. 

"Come on in, it's quite late," she murmured, allowing her youngest into the house. 

Her father was laid out in the living room, book on his lap and the fire going. He looked surprised to see her as well. 

"Maddy, it's wonderful to see you," he greeted, standing up to give her a hug. 

"It is wonderful but I must ask why you're here?" Corinne added, cutting in to the moment. 

The three of them settled back in to the living room, Madison sitting on the floor in front of their chairs. 

"I have some news... a lot of news actually," Madison began, feeling nervous, "I'm moving to New York to attend Columbia... for my masters."

"Well that's fantastic news!" Pete congratulated, sitting up straighter. 

"And... Eric and I are getting married," Madison continued, "Sometime. Not sure when yet."

The noise her mother made was in between shock and excitement, but either sound was positive to hear from her now normally closed off parent. 

"Oh Maddy, that's wonderful news," Corinne sighed, "The Columbia news as well. I always knew you had it in you to pursue higher education."

This comment was a perfect, albeit painful, segue into the full reason why she knocking at her parents' door late in the evening. 

"I... I wanted to apologize," Madison began, feeling her throat constrict. 

Both her parents looked confused, eyebrows raised. 

"For letting you down," Madison explained, full tears coming to her now. 

She was trying to push them down and muscle through the rest of her speech, but it was no use, her parents scrambled to the floor to comfort her before she could even begin a new sentence. Apologies and words of comfort were whispered into her ears as they held her tightly. 

"Please visit us," Pete sighed, pulling away, "And please tell us everything about Columbia."

"And please let me plan your wedding," Corinne giggled, wiping away her tears, "Or at least help."

"Of course," Madison sighed, "I love you guys."

--

Mr. Feeny's classroom. Familiar, but nostalgic now. Shawn, Cory, Topanga, Eric, and Madison dutifully filed in, looking at their teacher standing quietly at the front. Eric and Madison hopped up to sit on a shelf at the back while the other three found seats in their desks. Silence passed over them as they just looked and looked at Mr. Feeny. 

"What?" Feeny demanded, looking at them reproachfully. 

"We're leaving," Cory explained. 

"I know," Feeny sighed. 

"We wanted to know if you had anything else left to teach us," Topanga prodded. 

"No... my work with you is done," Feeny solemnly said. 

Eric grabbed Madison's hand and squeezed, eyes not leaving his mentor. 

"I don't know, it's pretty scary," Shawn added, "Going into a whole new world."

"And you're ready to go into that world," Feeny reassured. 

"Even me?" Eric inquired. 

"Even you," Feeny answered, a ghost of a smile on his face. 

The silence was uncomfortable, yet right, as they sat in their old classroom, begging their now ex-teacher for advice on life. Shawn was right, it was a big and new world out there. A scary one. How were they to do it without Feeny?

"Believe in yourselves. Dream. Try," Feeny promised, "Do good."

"Don't you mean 'do well'?" Topanga questioned. 

"No, I mean 'do good'," Feeny repeated. 

Eric slowly let go of Madison's hand as he found his feet, uttering the words "Tell us you love us". Madison weakly smiled, knowing in her heart that even if he didn't say it, it was true. 

"Well, if there's one thing I've taught you is that there is a line between teacher and student that must never be crossed," Feeny said adamantly. 

"Tell us you love us," Madison repeated. 

"I regard all my students equally," Feeny stated, turning away from them. 

"Oh you know we're your favourites," Shawn snickered, rising to his feet as well. 

Smiles and laughter were now livening the space up, making the depressive haunt of the room seem less scary. 

"Come on Feeny you haven't even talked to another student for seven years," Cory argued. 

Silence was all Feeny could respond with. 

"Tell us you love us!" Eric demanded. 

"I surely will not," Feeny said quietly.

"Okay for you then," Eric sighed. 

The sad silence returned as Topanga and Shawn stepped up to say their goodbyes, each promising to never forget him and surprising him with tight hugs. Eric was next in the line. Madison was after him, and she wasn't sure what to even say. 

"I'm not sure what's gonna happen to me," Eric admitted, "But I do know that I'm going to be a good person who cares about people. And I blame you for that."

Madison chuckled through her tears, trying to wipe them away as quickly as they fell. The two embraced, after an awkward handshake, and then it was Madison's turn. Her hands shook violently. 

"You know, I thought you'd be next in line of the people who were disappointed in me," Madison began, voice quiet, "But you never were. Never once did I hear those words."

Feeny smiled at her, eyes sad. 

"Thank you" Madison choked out, "I needed that." 

As they embraced, Madison felt her shaking hands stop and her heart feel lighter. She returned to Eric's side, leaning in to him. 

"Do be sure to send me an invitation to the wedding," Feeny added, a cheeky smile on his face. 

Madison wasn't sure how he found out, but was glad he seemed happy. 

"Oh please Mr. Feeny you're gonna be my best man," Eric half-joked, squeezing Madison. 

Short laughter filled the space before it was replaced with the emptiness it had once again. Goodbyes were hard, even bittersweet ones. Madison couldn't believe she was saying goodbye to all this again, but this time for real. This time forever. This time for a lifetime. 

She couldn't wait. 

I love you all... class dismissed.