an honest lie

"Maddy!"

"Maddy!"

Madison looked up from her seat and almost screamed. The image of Jessica Morris sprinting across the campus was the best thing she had seen in months. Jess looked different, in a very good way. Her normally shoulder length hair was now cut to her chin, framing her face beautifully. She still wore her normal track pants and athletic t-shirt with her college emblem spread across her entire outfit. 

"Jess!" Madison shrieked, hopping up. 

The phone call they shared a few days earlier was much needed, as they talked for hours and hours into the night. Jess was only an hour away at her state university, and asked if it would be okay to come visit her at Pennbrook. Madison didn't have much going on that week and was so excited to give Jess the tour. 

"You look so good! Oh my god!" Jess complimented, tackling her in a hug. 

"Are you kidding? Look at you!" Madison returned. 

They squeezed each other tight for a few more moments, until they were interrupted with the student union door swinging open. Madison was surprised to see that Eric with a baby carriage was the one exiting. He stopped in his tracks once he noticed the two familiar women. 

"Madison, Jess?" he greeted, voice going up at the end of Jess' name.

"Eric Matthews," Jess said incredulously, glancing down at the baby, "I didn't know you were a father now."

Madison snorted into her hand at Jess' assumption. 

"Oh no no no, this is my little brother Joshua," Eric corrected, blushing a bit.

"Mrs Matthews had another baby?" Jess squealed in delight, looking over at Madison. 

"I have so much to tell you," Madison giggled. 

"Oh Mads, Rachel is looking for you," Eric cut in, gesturing behind him. 

Jess looked over at Madison with a questioning glance, most likely about who this 'Rachel' character was. Madison muttered a quick thank you and pulled Jess in the direction of the doors. 

"I really have so much to tell you," Madison sighed. 

--

Madison hummed happily as the pair of girls each brushed and fixed their hair. They were sitting on the floor of her bedroom, where Madison had moved her desk mirror to. It felt like old times, the two of them getting all dressed up together. Rachel and Jack had planned to have their first dinner party as a couple, and Madison was thankful she didn't have to be the third wheel for dinner anymore. And even though she didn't have a date, she had Jess, and that was considerably better. 

"You talked to Candace recently?" Madison inquired, sparking up a new conversation. 

"Not really, she's really knee-deep into the fashion stuff with her mom," Jess answered, "I barely even saw her over the winter break when we went for our annual New York trip."