a dreary place

Madison's car came to a stop in front of her childhood home, a sigh pushing through her tightly closed lips

Madison's car came to a stop in front of her childhood home, a sigh pushing through her tightly closed lips. It was about time she came by and picked up her stuff, as she had been putting it off for literal months. The snow had begun to melt around the house, and the dead grass was poking through. Madison found it a fitting image. 

She could see the milling about of her family through the large front window, her sister present as well. Anna had been visiting home more regularly since her split with Andrew, and her new life as a full on grown up. She had gotten a job at a nearby lab and was already excelling at her work. 

The stalling couldn't go any longer, so Madison growled and kicked open her door. It was going to be painful either way. She drug her feet up the walkway, lamely knocking on the front door and biting hard on the inside of her cheek. The door swung open, revealing Corinne Chirley. 

"About time!" she greeted, and Madison could hear the edge in her voice, "Come on in. Your sister just got here too."

Madison weakly smiled and entered, stamping off her boots. Corinne didn't even wait with her in the entrance, as she was already stalking off to the kitchen. Low grumbling reverberated in Madison's throat as she shrugged off her coat.

"The prodigal daughter returns," Anna greeted. 

A quick roll of the eyes was the only response Anna received at the moment. 

"Where's my stuff?" Madison inquired. 

"It's all in your room," Corinne answered from the kitchen. 

"You're not staying here tonight?" Anna prodded. 

It was tense silence in the room, both Madison and Corinne freezing. Things were slowly getting better with her and her family, the tenseness dissipating, but staying over for the weekend or even just the night hadn't been broached quite yet. 

"I think it would be nice."

Madison's gaze was pulled behind her, and she weakly smiled. It was her father, coming out of his office. Through all of the turmoil, her father had been the one to stand by her. 

"Okay," Madison said quietly, "I'll stay." 

---

Her room was barren of her own stuff now, most of it coming to England or being thrown out to make room. Corinne had made it her mission to clean the entire house and purge through the things she didn't want anymore. This meant most of the boxes ended up in Madison's room. The boxes she was meant to pick up were placed on top of her bed, and she slowly removed them, plopping herself down. 

It was weird to be home. It didn't feel the same. Madison couldn't quite put a finger on what the feeling was, but it just was... different. She missed it - being home, being with her family, being with her friends. Her friends. She hadn't spoken much to Jess and Candace in the last few months. Jess had come to visit her in New Hope for a few weeks during the summer but they were both busy with their own lives, especially now that Candace had fully moved to New York. Her mother finally got through to her father, and the entire Little family was shifted. Madison vaguely wondered how she was doing there, and also made a mental note to reach out to the two. 

"You've been quieter than usual."

Madison's eyes were pulled away from her wall to the doorway, where Anna was standing. She looked tired, with her normally stylized brown hair laying limp in a ponytail. It wasn't surprising that she was dishevelled. The breakup with Andrew was hard, as they had been together for years. 

"Hmm," Madison responded softly, "Not much to say." 

Anna crossed the room, stepping around boxes and bins, to plop down beside her sister. Anna followed Madison's gaze, taking in the room as well. 

"Mom did the same to mine," Anna sighed, "When I fully moved out."

"I remember," Madison commented. 

Silence passed over the two of them again. 

"They're not still mad at you, you know," Anna added, nudging Madison with her shoulder. 

"Really? Tell that to Mom's pursed face," Madison giggled, mimicking her mother's pinched expression. 

"They're confused, they think they failed you," Anna explained, "They think it's their fault."

Madison sighed, rubbing her face in exhaustion and annoyance. Why did everyone think her actions were their own fault? It seemed everyone wanted to make it about them. 

"It's not their fault, it's mine," Madison responded, voice getting quieter. 

"Why did you do it?" Anna inquired, "I mean, I went pretty crazy my first year but nothing like that."

"Just wanted to... I don't know.... feel," Madison said simply. 

Anna nodded her head, understanding. Madison sighed, finally allowing her walls to crumble, for just a moment, and leaned her head on her sister's shoulder. 

She didn't love the fact that she was so disconnected from her old home, but she was secure in her decisions of creating her new home at Pennbrook with Jack, Rachel, Cory, Topanga, Shawn, Angela, and Eric. 

"Mom told me you're living with Eric," Anna prodded. 

Madison rolled her eyes at her tone, noting the teasing. 

"Not anymore," Madison groaned, "He moved out because of a situation with my other two roommates. Long story."

"Shame," Anna sighed, "What are they like? Your roommates?"

"Rachel and Jack are awesome," Madison mused, "Rachel is like... my new best friend. She's so damn wonderful. And Jack... he's a little more reserved but I'm determined to have him come around to me."

Anna hummed in response, letting her own head drop down on top of Madison's. 

"Have you talked to Jess or Candace recently?" Anna asked. 

"No," Madison admitted.

"You should," Anna commented, nudging her once again. 

Madison pursed her lips, pulling her phone out of her back pocket. Anna shifted herself, bringing her head off of Madison's, to allow her to make the call. 

"Jess?"