a new opportunity

Just another Thursday afternoon spent wasting the day away

Just another Thursday afternoon spent wasting the day away. Finals were slowly crawling by, the looming graduation no longer a small flicker in the sky, but rather a dark cloud circling above. Madison was standing in the doorway of the mail room, waiting for the group of old women to get their newsletters and get out. The blasting music in the earbuds in her ears was doing nothing to dull the incessant annoyance building up. All she wanted to do was get the mail. 

"Oh sorry dear, we didn't see you there!" one of the women croaked, tapping her friends on their shoulders to signal they should leave. 

Madison loved being invisible. Silently she finally grabbed the mail, expecting the same old junk mail and bills there always were. But something was different today. There was a really big letter with the words...

Her legs took off before she could even think, the mail door slamming closed behind her. The elevator was far too slow, the stairs being a quicker option as her feet pounded up and up. By the time she burst into the apartment, the breath was taken from her. 

"Mads what's wrong? Mads? Mads?" Eric tried to pry any information out of her. 

When she silently thrust the letter at him and hoarsely coughed, Eric got the message. 

Columbia. 

"Op... open it," Madison choked out, hands shaking with fear and adrenaline. 

Eric wasted no time, practically ripping open the fragile paper and searching for the answer. 

"Oh my god," Eric sighed. 

"What? What? Oh my god I didn't get in. I can-" Madison began to spiral, still gasping for air. 

"Mads you got in."

Stunned, Madison ripped the paper from his hands. 

Congratulations Miss Chirley, we are pleased to offer you a spot in our masters program for next semester. 

"I got in. I got in!" Madison shrieked, leaping into Eric's arms. 

"We're going to New York! We're going to New York!" Eric cheered, picking her up and spinning her around. 

"Eric, you want to move to New York?" Madison clarified, coming back down from the high. 

Eric smiled at her brightly. 

"Of course Mads, I wanna follow you wherever you go, I wanna be there," Eric reassured. 

Madison's mouth slightly dropped open. How he always gave so much love she would never understand. After everything she did and put him through he still loved her more than life itself. How did she get so lucky? And yet, the guilt nagged at her. Did he know she loved him as much as he loved her?

--

The Matthews House was solemn that night after graduation. It was supposed to be something that was celebratory, but the realization and news that everyone was leaving and going their separate ways put a bit of a damper on it. Rachel and Madison had sobbed for at least an hour on the couch, hugging each other and promising to write as often as they could and to call even more. 

Rachel had decided to go into the Peace Corps, something Madison wasn't surprised about at all. If anyone could make a difference in the world, it would be Rachel. 

Cory and Topanga were all packed up, excited to start their new life together in a new place. Of course, Eric and Madison would be right there with them, but they would be able to break apart from the confines of their hometown and forever friends. Madison was excited to see where life would take them next. 

Jack was following Rachel, something that also wasn't surprising. Madison always knew the feelings they had for each other never truly dissipated, something she had also experienced. 

Madison didn't know where Shawn would end up, as he had been silent all night. Loss was never something he took well. 

Madison looked over at Eric, who was talking to Jack with a smile on his face. No matter how different they were, or how often they fought, they loved each other. It was sad to see everyone look so dejected and melancholic. 

"Okay, well, the best goodbyes are fast goodbyes," Cory announced. 

"Are you freaking nuts?" Shawn sobbed, snapping at his friend, "Where is your soul? You're just gonna cast me aside like an old pair of shoes? We have to say goodbye for an hour!" 

Madison and Eric tried to stop snickering but just couldn't, they looked too ridiculous. 

"Guys it's only 70 miles away," Topanga interjected, offering some perspective. 

"No no no," Cory cried, voice cracking, "I was doing it quick because I thought you wanted to do it quick!"

"I want a divorce," Topanga deadpanned. 

The side door opened to welcome the rest of the Matthews family back into their home. Madison's heart ached at the realization she was not with her own family tonight. 

"So this is it?" Morgan inquired. 

"Yes, this is..." Cory sighed. 

"Goodbye," Shawn whispered. 

"Oh that's it I can't take it anymore," Topanga snapped, "Here, this is for you."

Everyone watched in confusion as Topanga shoved a large duffel into Shawn's arms. 

"What's that?" Cory asked. 

"His stuff," Topanga said with a smirk. 

"You're coming with us?" "I'm going with you?"

Topanga only giggled, leaving the two boys to scream in excitement. 

As everyone began to settle back down and fully say goodbye, Madison glanced over at Eric, who had one arm around her and the other around his little sister. He was glowing with a smile, looking at Shawn and Cory. Madison didn't know what forced her to say this but she did...

"Eric..."

"Yeah Mads?" 

"I wanna get married."