a summer of love

This was normal, right? Just two adults, sharing a hotel room in New York

This was normal, right? Just two adults, sharing a hotel room in New York. Totally fine and normal. Happens all the time. 

"What side do you want?" Eric inquired, lifting his duffel bag to bed height. 

"Umm, I'll take this one," Madison murmured, crossing to the right side of the bed. 

Either he didn't notice her awkwardness or didn't care, or maybe he was used to it, but Eric continued to unpack and move around the space. She tried to keep her eyes away from his moving frame and onto her bag, she didn't want to make him uncomfortable with staring. 

It was mid-summer, near the end of July, and they had decided to take an extended weekend trip to New York. Both had gotten time off work, not that Eric worked a lot, and Madison finally connected with Candace, who wanted her to come see her Mom's studio. It was looking to be a wonderful and fun weekend, but Madison was nervous to spend so much time alone with Eric... as adults. It was weird and felt like she was breaking so many rules. The nagging remembrance of her mother's no-boys-in-room policy were sticking with her. 

"You okay?"

"Hmm?" Madison responded, a bit too quickly, "Oh, yeah, I'm okay. Just tired."

He seemed unconvinced, but didn't push it any further. 

--

"Madison Chirley is that you?"

Madison looked up from her twiddling thumbs and immediately broke into a gigantic smile. She couldn't believe that the Candace Little was walking towards her. Candace looked absolutely fabulous, with her classic braided hair coloured dark pink throughout. Her matching pink and white striped two piece, cropped tank and billowy culotte pants, was paired nicely with her white heeled booties. And her entire self was just glowing with confidence and happiness. It was infectious. 

"Candace!" Madison cheered, launching up to her feet and wrapping her arms around the girl. 

It wasn't like her to give hugs willingly, but after not seeing and barely speaking to her best friend for over two years, she would give them out with no hesitation. 

"You look so good babe," Candace complimented. 

She had to admit that this new red sundress looked wonderful on her frame. Her hair was pulled back into a loose braid and tan sandals laced up her shins. It was a very summery and very unlike her look. 

"I can't believe you actually made it here," Madison brought up.

Candace smiled in response, looking up at the surrounding skyscrapers with a happy face. 

"Me neither," she sighed, looping her arm in Madison's, "Let me show you my mom's store!"

The pair walked together down the busy streets of New York, the bustling nature not even disturbing the two girls' connection to one another. Madison felt a strange sense of belonging in the streets, something she had felt back in England as well. They chattered on and on about the last couple years, Madison saving her words about Oxford for a later time, until they finally found themselves at the bottom of a massive building. It was clear that it was the store as the bright white lettering of JACQUELINE was painted across. It seemed the entire building was covered in wide open windows, allowing an overwhelming amount of light into the store. It was a three levelled store, with racks upon racks of varying kinds and styles of clothing. It looked magnificent. 

"My mom's letting me work here over the summer, and I'm hoping to continue to work part-time when I go back to FIT," Candace explained as she swung open the front door.

Madison nodded along, remembering that Candace was attending the Fashion Institute of Technology (FIT). The entire store smelt like something citrus, a little bit of lemon with orange. It was refreshing. 

"It's... magnificent in here," Madison said breathlessly. 

Candace let go of her arm to allow her to begin to explore the store herself. She trailed along behind Madison as Madison felt the different fabrics and eyed certain pieces. 

"So... how's the Pennbrook life?" Candace inquired. 

Madison had already spoken about her living situation and her schooling, so Madison knew exactly what Candace was hinting about. She hadn't mentioned anything about Eric and her love life. 

"Well, you'll be happy to know that..." Madison began, pausing for a moment, "Eric and I are back together. He actually came with me here."

"What?" Candace shrieked, practically jumping at her, "You couldn't have led with that!"

"I'm sorry!" Madison cackled, "I was so nervous to tell you!"

"Are you kidding? I am ecstatic!" Candace hummed, "You always were soulmates."

Madison snickered to herself, avoiding eye contact. 

"Soulmates?" Madison mused. 

"Yeah, I've never seen two people be so in love with each other," Candace answered. 

Madison fought against the smile on her face and ran a hand through the wispy parts of her escaped hair. Candace lightly shoved her friend and sighed wistfully. 

"Oh to be young and in love," Candace sang. 

"Shut up," Madison giggled. 

-- 

"Mads you want room service?"

Madison stuck her head out of the bathroom, hair slicked back and face wet from the water. Eric took in her appearance and smirked, a little laugh passing through his lips. 

"Don't judge," Madison scoffed, "Order me a grilled cheese please."

"One grilled cheese coming up," Eric said in a serious voice, reaching for the phone. 

Madison shook her head in amusement, a smile sticking to her face. God he was adorable. As she finished washing her face and brushing her hair out, Eric spoke on the phone in a friendly voice. 

"We are ordered!" Eric hummed as Madison exited the washroom. 

Eric was leaning against the headboard, his arm lazily placed behind his head. A random sitcom was rolling on the TV as he relaxed deep into the bed. Madison felt the awkwardness rise up into her chest as she padded over to the bed. Before she could second guess herself, she plopped down onto the bed and tucked into Eric's side. She could feel his smile against her head as she curled in. He felt like a hot box as her entire body began to heat up with the contact. 

"Do you know what this reminds me of?" Eric suddenly inquired. 

"Hmm?" Madison said quietly. 

"Prom," Eric said slyly. 

Madison rolled her eyes, shifting to be able to look up at him. He was already smirking down at her. 

"I wonder why Matthews," Madison giggled, "Don't assume anything mister."

"Never," Eric mused, pressing a kiss onto her hairline. 

He was too sweet to her, always making sure she was comfortable and happy. It made her feel bad sometimes for how she showed her love - teasing and snarky comments. But he had made it clear before that he liked it when she teased him, as he understood that was how she expressed her own feelings. Once again, too sweet. 

"If you let me mooch off of your fries you might get lucky," Madison teased. 

"Well it's a good thing I'm allergic to potatoes then," Eric joked, wiggling his eyebrows. 

Madison couldn't help the laugh that came out of her as Eric laughed along with her. 

"You're such a dork," Madison responded, tucking her face back into his side. 

"Yeah but you love me," Eric joked. 

Madison's thoughts immediately jumped back to Candace's words. I've never seen two people be so in love with each other. 

"Yeah," Madison hummed, almost too quiet to hear, "I do."