prologue

season 4, episode 1 

"Eric, I've been a good brother on this trip," Cory argued, his ridiculous sunglasses making it hard to take him seriously, "I mean, I've indulged your little whims, I've been very supportive. Why're you doing this?" 

Eric stared at himself in the mirror and felt himself falter for a moment. 

"I'm just not ready for the summer to end yet," Eric carefully chose. 

"Well I am! I mean, I got a girlfriend, I got Shawn, I got school," Cory countered, "I got a life waiting for me back home."

That one stung. 

"Yeah you do," Eric sighed, turning to face his little brother, "That must be nice huh?"

He could feel his control slipping, a fumble in his plans. He thought he had it all figured out, staying in this small town and going on a date with a local girl - everything he could do to distract himself from the reality of what was waiting for him at home. 

"I wasn't trying to make you feel bad," Cory mumbled, allowing Eric to pass by him. 

"I know you weren't. I mean, I did this to myself," Eric accepted, "I didn't get into college, all my friends did. I don't have a job. The one thing that really meant anything to me is currently flying halfway across the world instead of staying to be with me."

The pause that passed between the brothers was heavy, laced with concern and sadness. 

"There's really nothing for me to go home to."