chapter fourteen

"You knew she wasn't in the tomb."

I tensed as I heard Damon's voice come from behind me. I was hiding in the woods, away from Caroline and Bonnie. They were smothering me, and I couldn't deal with it. Since being released from the hospital last week, I have no time to myself. I get it; I died, and it terrified them, but that didn't mean I wanted them under me twenty-four seven. I needed space! Time to breathe!

"What makes you say that, Salvatore?"

He was quiet for a few moments, "It was the look you gave me when I ran out of the tomb. You knew." I shrug as he climbs up the tree, taking a seat on the branch below me.

"So what if I did? You wouldn't learn your lesson without seeing actual proof."

I'm surprised he hadn't turned his emotions off and throw a fucking tantrum, but he's probably afraid. Ten active Bennett witches could take him down with a flick of a hand.

"Was the lesson realizing I've been lied to? That I've been waiting over a hundred years for nothing?"

I let out a hum. "Katherine Pierce is not who you think she is."

"She's a lying, manipulative, evil bitch." Damon sneered, his hand tightening on the branch.

"But you were the fool to believe her. Even stupider to fall for her. She was involved with Stefan for a reason. I honestly don't understand this stupid personal vendetta you've gotten against Stefan. It's unnecessary! If you wanted to die so bad then.....Why not just commit suicide?"

Damon looked up to me in shock. "What?"

"Damon, you're always blaming Stefan for turning you. I'll admit it was a bit selfish of him, but you're his big brother. Of course, he thinks he can't live without you and whatever. But, this whole 'Stefan turned me, and everything I do is to get back at him' agenda is dragged out and so stupid. If you didn't want to be a vampire, all you had to do was pull that daylight ring off and walk your pasty little ass right out into the sun."

There were a few moments of silence.

"You make it seem so easy."

"It is, Damon. You're just a pussy, and although you want to punish Stefan, you can't leave your baby brother alone. You love him no matter how much you claim you 'hate' him—your brothers. But for the love of God, stop letting women get in between the two of you! And quit sleeping with all the girls your brother associates with! You're always running after his sloppy seconds! Get a woman of your own!"

Damon opens his mouth to respond, but I continue talking. I needed to get this shit off my chest because I'm never repeating it or dealing with Damon Salvatore like this.

"No, listen to me, Damon Salvatore! You need to find a woman! Not a teenage girl! You seem to forget that Stefan is still a teenager; he's allowed to sleep with them. But you! Katherine, turned you at what, twenty-five?! You're a grown-ass man, running after teenagers! Grown the fuck up, go out into the actual world, and find yourself a woman! A woman that's all about you. If you wouldn't go after your brother's girls, then you wouldn't have a problem with them always having feelings for Stefan."

I took a calming breath after releasing my frustration against Damon. I've got more issues to dish out with him, but he needed to hear this shit for now.

Damon was silent.

"You can heed my words, Damon. Or just continuing being a piece of shit and always second best to your baby brother. And honestly, in your eyes, you're 'second-best' because you have so many major self-esteem issues. You have this imaginary competition with him."