chapter thirty

"Esther Mikaelson is a real piece of work," Ma comments as she takes a seat beside me on the couch.

I let out an agreeing hum, "Tell me about it. She's a pain in my ass and I can't wait to get rid of her."

"I don't trust this spell Qetsiyah has you and Bonnie performing, Ororo. It isn't safe, only one person has performed it before, she's dead and won't answer anyone's summoning."

I roll my eyes skyward at her words. She and Dad were strongly against Qetsiyah. Ayana and Emily's suggested spell to get rid of Esther. I wasn't one hundred percent confident in it either, but she needed to be dealt with as soon as possible. One less headache in Mystic Falls.

"I know you aren't for it Ma, but come on we'll finally have the wicked witch out of our hair, and don't tell me you aren't irked about her possessing you!"

Mom shrugs, sipping her tea. "I'm furious beyond words, but your safety is more important than Esther. I don't want anything to happen to my only baby. I'm certain that Esther has a backup plan, among others. "

"Qetsiyah and the others have you doing their dirty work. You know, if Ayana had punished the she-devil when she stole her spell the first time, we wouldn't be in this situation now."

Ma was right in a way, but I still wanted to do this. She knows it, of course, as she shakes her head.

"I knew I couldn't talk you out of it. You're just as hard-headed as me. I just want you to..." She trails off, placing her cup of tea on the coffee table.

Mom gently takes my hand, this causes me to feel a bit alarmed at the disheartened look in her eyes.

"I'm scared this won't have a positive outcome, Ororo. Esther has always been a tricky one. She could easily outsmart the ancestors once again, and this time you'd get dragged down in this mess."

I attempt to give her a reassuring smile, squeezing her hand. "Ma, don't worry, I'm sure everything will be fine."

Everything was not fine.

━━━━━━━━━━

"What the hell are you doing here?" Kol questions, glaring at his mother.

"Can't a mother visit her children?" Esther pouts, holding back a sneer of disgust at the sight of her children. She couldn't believe these monsters were still living.

Mikael had sworn to get rid of them, especially of Niklaus, but here she is, a thousand years later, cleaning up this mess. Honestly, you can't send a man to do anything.

"Mother!" Rebekah lets out a gasp, taking in Esthers' new appearance.

"I always thought Greta was smart, but this is pure idiocy," Klaus rolls his eyes, shaking his head in disappointment.

"This is such a lovely homecoming." She says, taking a seat.

Klaus glares, sneering at her in clear hatred. "Who the hell told you that you could sit down on my furniture? Get up, I don't want you to taint it with yo-"

"Finish that sentence, and I'll crave your tongue from your mouth. Look, I didn't come here to fight children. I just wanted to talk. There's quite an awful lot of catching up we have to do. Don't we, Kol?" Esther questions, looking at her youngest son, who met her eyes, unafraid of her wraith.

"I have nothing to say to you besides warning you to stay the hell away from my family. That little stunt you pulled possessing Anna wasn't cute and bringing back the doppelgänger moreover. Just for her to dig herself another grave by threatening the woman I love."