chapter four

"Are you coming to the bonfire tonight?"

The dreaded bonfire, the beginning of the shit-show. The Gilbert's die, Stefan and Damon meet Elena. Well, Stefan saves her from the lake, and she meets Damon and gets compelled.

For the past couple of months, I've been preparing myself for this. I wouldn't save Gilbert's nor stop Elena from meeting the Salvatores. The council was already up to our asses as it was. If Grayson saw me use magic, witch hunts would be back in session. There are some things you shouldn't change, and this is one of them.

Honestly, if it weren't because Klaus needed Elena to break the curse, she would've killed the brunette in an unfortunate event years ago.

"Bonnie would never forgive you."

I rolled my eyes, "karma is a bitch; they deserve it. I know Daddy Gilbert tortures vampires."

"She's talking to herself again, Care. She's losing it, I swear." Bonnie comments.

"I'm pretty sure she's plotting someone's demise. She's got that evil glint in her eyes." Caroline sniggers, punching me in the shoulder.

"Ow! Caroline!" I glare at the blonde, reaching over and shoving her slightly. She rolls her eyes, opening her locker. I hand her my textbooks.

"I asked if you were going to the bonfire tonight?" Bonnie questions.

"Bon, when have I ever missed the bonfire? And you know if Caroline is going, she's going to drag me alone."

Caroline closes her locker, smirking. "That's right."

Bonnie gives Caroline an eye roll. "Are you guys dating? If so, I don't judge! It's just you're always together. You act like a couple! Especially with where one goes, the other follows!"

"We could be a couple if someone would just ask me out." I avoided Caroline's pointed look.

Bonnie laughs, "you know Aunt Annie wouldn't care about you having a girlfriend, Ororo."

Caroline's never giving up, is she? She's been hellbent trying to get me to ask her out or admit my "lesbian" feelings for her. I think I made a mistake with befriending.

"Can we change the subject?"

Bonnie and Caroline let out a collective sigh.

"Are you wearing your biker outfit to the bonfire? It's hot, and I thought I should wear a matching outfit."

Bonnie nudges me, "answer your girlfriend."

"You're just trying to get punched, aren't you, Bon? Caroline, sweetheart, it's not a biker outfit. It's just a leather jacket and pants. Why do you want to match, anyway?"

"You've got the whole mysterious bad girl vibe with the leather outfit. We always match Ororo! You know this! And maybe it'll get me some action tonight, you know? The most boring one of us, Elena, has a boyfriend! That's saying something about us!"

I scoff, "her boyfriend is Matt. I love Matt, but they're both boring as hell. It's like watching paint dry."

Caroline, let's put a giggle as Bonnie scowls me.

"That's rude, Ororo! I think they're cute."

"Boring as watching paint dry." I shrugged.

"You're such an asshole sometimes, Ororo."

"Someone has to be!"

~~~

"Ugh, they're disgustingly cute," Caroline comments as she snatched my bottle from my hand.

"That's not beer, Care." She ignored me and took a swing. Her face screwed up in a sour expression. "What the hell is that?"

"Fireball," she handed the bottle back, shaking her head. She continued glaring at Matt and Elena, who were sitting close by the fire.

"It must be nice to snuggle up and be loved tonight." I closed my eyes, knowing exactly what she was doing.

"If only I could have that. Someone giving me compliments, romantic dates," I rolled my eyes, throwing an arm around her shoulders.

"Yes!" She whispers excitedly, laying her head on my shoulder. This whole Caroline having a crush on me was not a part of the plan. And I'm at a loss on what to do.

"Besides, you really should stop looking at Dull and Duller as relationship goals. I'm sure they're going to be breaking up soon, anyway. Just because a relationship looks perfect on the outside doesn't mean that it's happy."

"Mmm," Caroline was quite content on my shoulder.

"You know we should head home soon."

"Can I stay over at your place?" Caroline questions.

"Always, Care. You know that."

I grabbed Bonnie, and the three of us headed home while I pretended I didn't know the events that were going to take place tonight.

~~~

My mom breaks the news about the Gilbert's the next morning over breakfast. We watched as Bonnie and Caroline went into a panic, wanting to rush to the hospital to see Elena.

"Sheriff Forbes called this morning, she's still sleeping for now, but she should be out soon. You girls can check on her then, but for now, try to collect yourselves."

Bonnie and Caroline give her tear-filled nods. Call me a heartless bitch, but there was no love lost between me and the Gilbert's. I didn't shed a tear. Sure, I felt terrible. Elena lost her parents, but that's not my problem, and it was fated for them to die on the bridge. Oh, that reminds me, I need to get some stakes from the bridge. You never know when an Original could piss you off or double-cross.

When my mom went upstairs, I was left with two crying teenagers who immediately jumped into my open arms.