4- Caretaking

Written: 12/6/20

Published 12/6/20

Y/n and Emma were hanging out in the forest. The trees were tall and full of life. Emma was hanging on a branch upside down while Y/n sat on a nearby rock, reading about geometry. Emma swinging back and forth slightly worried Y/n. However, if she fell, perhaps it could help her brain and be smarter. Y/n was humming a song that she heard Ray sing subtly.

Footsteps in the soft grass could be heard and the two four year olds glanced to see what was approaching. Mama was coming towards them with her usual smile. Emma quickly swung and sat properly on the tree branch and Y/n closed the book with her finger as a bookmark. "Y/n. Emma. Would you two help look after the toddlers? I have somethings I need to do in the meantime." She requested. The two girls nodded with slightly opened mouths. Emma jumped down off the tree branch and ran to catch up with Mama. Y/n sighed, closed her book, and set it on the rock.

At least this will help me with practically everything. Trackers, Trust, and what not. Y/n thought. Y/n and Emma walked to the toddler and infant room. There were several cribs inside and a door nearby for what she assumed to be Mama's bedroom. How does she sleep at night with all these babies? Y/n wondered. Strolling to the first two cribs, she read the names aloud. "Don, three years old. Number 16194." Then the other. "Gilda, three years old. Number 65194." Don had dark hair and a slightly darker skin. He had a cheerful and hyper (?) vibe. Gilda had short olive drab hair. She was also squinting. Y/n made a note to create glasses for the girl.

Picking the two up, they stared into Y/n's e/c eyes. They both started smiling and waving their hands. Y/n gave a small smile. I'm sorry you have to be put in this place. She whispered into their ears. But don't worry. I'll protect you two. She then put the two tiny children down and focused on the others. The next two children she was on was another girl and boy. "Anna, two years old. Number 48194." Then the boy. "Nat, two years old. Number 30294." Y/n noticed Nat had a considerably tall nose line. Anna had blond hair. Y/n looked over to Emma who was playing with the toddlers, picking them up and lifting them up and down. Figuring that Emma was more into this than she was at the moment, Y/n left.

The young, intelligent girl had left in on the rock, she was sure of it. So why was it not here? The child looked everywhere around the rock and she sighed. Maybe someone took it. But what kind of kid would want a book about geometry? Ray. Running as fast as she could, she approached the tree where Ray sat. With her book. The spiky haired boy was smirking at her. This little...

"Oh, I'm sorry. Were you reading this?" Ray teased. He held up the book and shook it. Y/n frowned.

"As a matter in fact, I was. Now how about you give it back you jerk." Y/n replied curtly. Ray sniggered. "What's so funny?"

"Are you sure you are able to even comprehend this?" Ray said, pointing to the geometry book. "It seems a little bit out of your age range. You're two, right?" He teased.

Y/n let out a frustrated groan. She walked up to her best friend and took her book forcefully form him. She then stomped on his foot. "Oh, sorry! Did that hurt? Surely, a man could take it." She retorted as she walked away.

Ray huffed. He never lost those but when he was around Y/n, he just couldn't think of any smart comebacks. Just what was it about that girl that made it so difficult? He needed to find out, but where could he possibly find assistance on a subject like this?

     Ray looked into the sky as he sighed. What's the point? I'm not going to leave this place. It may be selfish, but will you possibly forgive me for it, Y/n?