2- In the Nights

Written: 11/15/20

Published: 12/1/20

This... She looked around at her family. We are a happy family waiting for a family to take us in? Lies! We...We are food? Since we are being raised as food... The outside world is full of those monsters! Alright, calm down. I can figure this whole thing out. The monster said another good quality six year-old. Sherry was smarter than others her age, but not the smartest. He said even a toe would do, which means that a toe is not the tastiest part. The brain probably, since they educate us. It would be safer for them to have us be dumb, but they go through the trouble to train us. It must be to make us more delicious. If they want us to be healthy, that means being terrified would ruin it. Thus, they have us be raised by humans like Mama. But where does she come from? That is not important right now... Y/n was tired from thinking a lot.

She suddenly realized something. If we are extremely tasty, aka smart, then they would not want to kill us yet because we can get smarter. Age six is probably only when we start getting killed. My proof? Well, everyone always gets 'adopted' at age six. So if I raise my scoring, perhaps I can live longer! Probably to age twelve. That is usually when girl things start and they probably want us to be as healthy as possible before they eat us. So all I can do is extend my life by eight years? That's not much. Even if everyone else increases their scores as well, someone will still die...

Y/n walked through the hallways on her way to the library. She noticed Ray reading a book. Come to think of it, he was always here. She picked a book and instantly began reading. She needed to get her scores even higher to be able to fulfill her wish.

Ray noticed Y/n come into the library. Huh? What is she doing here? He saw her pull a book and immediately start reading it. Something is wrong. She never studies. She always plays or helps Mama. He quietly closed his book and made his way towards the girl. He leaned down to see what she was reading. It was some pretty complicated material. She's studying, hard material even though she hates it when things are hard, the determination and sweat on her face... I see. Ray figured her out.

    "You know the secret, don't you, Y/n?" Ray whispered into the girl's ear. She yelped.

"Ray!" She whispered. "What the heck?!" Ray did not answer and just peered down at her. She looked around. She took his hand and dragged him outside to a private place, passing a very confused Emma and Norman on the way.

    "Ray, you already knew the secret?!" She exclaimed.

Ray nodded. "Yeah. You know what infantile amnesia is." She nodded. "I'm a rare case." He pointed his thumb at himself with a smirk.

"Are you planning to do anything about this? I know you are trying to improve your score. That's why you are always reading."

Ray nodded. He then gave a very scary smirk. "I have been planning an escape ever since I could think." He held out his hand. "Will you join me to save our siblings?"

Y/n nodded and shook his hand. "I know you only intend to take Emma and Norman. You don't have to lie because I am fine with that." Ray's eyes widened slightly. "Because I will come back to save the rest of them." She continued.

Ray's eyes dulled again. No way will I let her come back here. Us four will leave and never come back. We'll live a happy life. Ray inwardly smirked. I wonder who will convince who.

Ray and Y/n made their way back to the house. The sun set. The whole family had dinner, prepared for bed, and got in bed. Ray and Y/n had beds right next to each other. They went to bed without a word to each other.