Chapter 53

This Chapter is Dedicated to:
Bela2372

- - - - - - - - - -

Gotham
December 24, 23:53 EDT

- - - - - - - - - -

"So what's the goal of this?" Jason asks, standing next to Renegade as he plants the bomb in the boiler room.

"What's it to you?"

"Not much, I'm just curious."

Renegade glances at him wondering if he is suspicious about the manor. Then, Renegade decides he doesn't care. He finishes setting up the bomb with seven minutes remaining. They both book it out of there, Jason tailing Renegade. It annoys him a little, Renegade was hoping to shake him off somewhere, but the kid is too good. Unsurprising, really.

He stops on a roof a few blocks from the school. Jason assumes that it is a safe distance away from the blast radius and is mildly underwhelmed by the bombing now. Renegade sighs and sits down on the concrete. He thinks for a moment, then scoots back until he is leaning against the small-safety wall, then nods his head.

"Okay, you have five minutes until the bombs go off and Master calls me back. I'm listening."

"Aren't those cuffs annoying?" Jason inquires. His arrogant looking face adoptes a self-satisfied grin when the lenses of Renegade's mask narrow. How the fuck did he know about those? "What if I told you I know how to remove them?"

"Who said I wanted them removed?" Renegade challenges darkly. He keeps his hand on the hilt of the katana ready to attack if this talk goes south. Jason notices but doesn't seem overly bothered by the action.

"I know what you're thinking and I'm not going to ask for much. In exchange for the information, I want the cuffs."

Renegade rolls his eyes, "What, you gonna sell them to the highest bidder?"

"More like trap Batman in a contract," Jason smiles.

Just like he knew it would, the misfortune of their previous mentor catches Renegade's attention. The apprentice is still on guard and has zero trust in Jason, but he becomes slightly more receptive. It is all Jason needs.

"You and I can both agree on something. Batman deserves to suffer for what he has and hasn't done," he ridicules. "I can tell that you want him dead- I have no preference. So, we are neither working with or against each other. What I am offering you is only a mild convenience and a gateway to many mischievous team-ups in the future."

Renegade considers Jason for a moment. He is right. Their goals didn't exactly align, but they aren't opposing each other either. However, Renegade's gut feeling tells him that something is wrong. There are too many unknowns:

First of all, Jason Todd. Renegade doesn't know much other than that he was killed in an explosion by the Joker. Batman couldn't save him in time.

Good, Renegade thinks absently. He didn't want anybody else to go through what he had to face. If Jason had been saved that night, he might've ended up having the same pain as him. In that case, death was better.

The context of his resurrection is also still unclear. He was being held captive at the League of Shadows for who knows how long- probably since his death, so they most definitely had something to do with it. Renegade wondered if it had any connection to the alleged age of their leader. He would ask Master about it later.

But other than that, Renegade is clueless about the teen. There wasn't a convenient file on him like there was of Tim. It only made sense that Master had already known about Jason Todd's resurrection and chose not to include him in Renegade's... remolding. Did that mean Master had a plan for Jason Todd?

Renegade didn't like the idea of that. Master has always been focused on him. In fact, Renegade believed that Master couldn't have his eye on anybody else, but now Renegade isn't so sure. He left Jason Todd, who he knew was alive, out-

Stop it, he scolds himself. If it was important, Master would've told you about it. He pushes the rising insecurities away, a little annoyed that he has to in the first place. Talking to Jason is too dangerous. His words are too smooth. Thinking about Jason is too dangerous. It causes Renegade to doubt.

Jason is dangerous.

"What do you think?" the teen asks.

Renegade braces himself against the concrete, katana in hand. His mind clears and the strong feeling of bloodlust seeps into his every muscle. He gives Jason a smile infused with just a little bit of madness.

Jason frowns.

"Nah."

The school glows white.

BOOM.

The shockwave sends Jason flying over the edge of the building, but not before Renegade can get in a good slice. The quaking of the earth makes his strike a little unsteady so that the blow only marrs Jason instead of killing him. Renegade boos internally before watching as he falls several stories to the pavement. Blood begins to pool around his body, his green eyes still open. Renegade peels himself off of where he had been sitting and looks back at the explosion site.

"Damn!" Renegade admires from the now half a building he is still standing on.

There is a deep crater where the school used to be. There is nothing left. Surrounding the crater is a large ring of fire. The buildings closest to the school stood no chance, but those that were several blocks away have been reduced to one story flames. Smoke seems to cover the stars until the world seems to be only lit by flames.

Renegade sits down on the edge of his partially collapsed building dangling his legs over the broken edge. The ringing in his ears begins to fade and he can hear the screams of those who survived. The sounds of helicopters and emergency vehicles begin to fill the streets. The air that had been pushed out by the explosion rushes back carrying small pieces of debris and glass. Some cut into Renegade's suit but does no real harm.

"A mini-nuke! It's beautiful!"

The is a buzzing in his ear alerting him to an incoming call. "Yes, Master?"

"Where are you?" Master asks from inside his head.

"In the University District by the High School," Renegade informs. "Or at least the crater of it."

"Good work. It seems that that is the only one that made contact with the target. A bit unfortunate, but not unexpected. That speedster managed to get the rest of them out to the Atlantic. It caused a large wave to hit the southern docks and sweep away a few shipping crates, but most of them were deep enough underwater to nullify the explosion. And Claude is still MIA."

"Such a shame," Renegade answers regretfully. "I'm sorry to disappoint you, Master."

"Not at all, Renegade. You've done exceptionally well."

"The League won't be happy with the outcome."

"The League of Shadows isn't important right now," Master brushes off. "I need you to get to the randevu point before you're caught. Batman and his band of protégé will be converging on your location for rescue and relief work."

Renegade grins, euphoria making his heart pound happily.

"Yes, Master!"