Chapter 6

Jump City
June 16, 10:03 PST

- - - - - - - - - -

Robin disconnects the live stream and sighs. This is just great. At least now he would have that alone time he so desperately wanted. Seems like the team would be off his case for a bit. He stretches his single leg that isn't bound by hard casts and cringes at the pain. He steals a glance in mirror and is not surprised to see himself half purple. All of his visible skin is discolored where it peaks out through the restrictive bandages. He gets to work removing the hard material.

He rotates himself on his bed to pick up the bird-a-rang under his pillow with his toes. Lifting one leg into the air, he tosses it into hand. The blade of the weapon bites heavily into his palm before he can wrap his fingers around it. The blood loss makes his head dizzy and he bites his cheek to keep from passing out.

Robin can't just sleep in bed. If he wasn't fighting crime or working out—he had time to think, and that is not what he needs at the moment. Even though that is exactly what he told the team would do...but he didn't want to think about how he mislead them. The only thing on his mind is getting free. The last time he was in this position it did not end well—and it will not happen again.

Just as he was about to start sawing on his cast, a single knock came at the door. Without asking to come in, Cyborg slides open the newly fixed entryway. He's shaking his head and so doesn't see Robin slide the bird-a-rang underneath him.

"What's the matter?"

"Do you think we are going to need better locks on your door? Especially with this new predicament..."

"That's up to you, I can't do very much right now, and neither can anybody else."

Cyborg looks Robin over and glares when he sees blood.

"You're bleeding!" He announces. Crap.

"One of my wounds must've reopened," Robin states innocently. Cyborg fishes for his bloody hand, opens the palm, and glares down at the fresh wound. Recognition lights up in his eyes. Keeping a tight hold of Robin, he meets the boy's broken gaze, sensing the fog behind the mask.

"Robin," he starts. "Where is it?"

"Where is what?"

"The bird-a-rang, Robin. Where is the bird-a-rang?"

"What are you talking about," Robin speaks tentatively, trying to pull away from the metal man. Cyborg lets go of Robin before shoving his hand under the boy and lifting him up. He screams in pain at the sudden movement. "Cy—stop! Ow!"

Cyborg sets Robin down on his stomach farther down his bed, exposing the weapon that had been underneath him.

"Robin—why?!" Cyborg stresses at the teen who is seething into his blankets. "You need to heal, you can't—"

"I need to move." Robin interrupts. His heart beginning to race. Not again, Robin pleads silently, Oh please not again.

"No Rob—you want to move. You can't keep running away. What's going on? You're hurting yourself—"

Robin begins to shift, trying to get up. Seeing this pains Cyborg. What was this kid trying to get away from? Their strong leader—breaking down by a past he refuses to talk about. He decides to take action. Robin has to stop avoiding his problems and face them.

"Robin, as stand in leader, your ordered to bed rest." Robin doesn't respond verbally, but tries to get up a little harder. "If you fail this order, I will not hesitate to restrain you."

The boy stops. "You wouldn't," he dares the machine.

"I would."

"Cy—don't do this. Please. You can't do this."

"I can and I will," Cyborg finalizes. "You are on leave. Therefore, I have authority over you. If you force my hand, I will not blink. Please, Robin. You're self-destructing."

The injured bird meets the cyborg's gaze. He sees the concern in his friends singular human eye and sighs. "Okay. Bed rest."

They stare at each other for a bit before Cyborg's expression hardens. Robin rolls off the bed and Cyborg jumps over to catch the teen. But, Robin has already disappeared.

Cyborg blinks before dropping to the floor to see Robin escaping from under the other side of the bed.

Despite being stiff, Robin has already discovered a way to stand by swinging his body onto his good leg and using his acrobatic balance to jump away. Cyborg easily catches up to him just as Robin reaches the door. He picks up the boy and turns him around to see tears running down his face.

Robin looks like he had just gotten out of human trafficking: Vulnerable.

His face is pale as he pleads with Cyborg silently. He does not whimper or shake with sobs, but his eyes betrayed his tough demeanor.

And he faints.

His blood pressure was not enough to support him standing—let alone being conscious. It showed how strong willed he was after waking up mere hours after that beating. It probably would've knocked anybody else out into next week—or until Cyborg got his mechanics fixed.

He carries Robin bridal style into the spare med-bay where they kept him when he was being haunted by Slade. After padding him down for anymore weapons, Cyborg straps Robin to the bed. Fastening the buckles restraining Robin from hurting himself tore at Cyborg's very soul. He did not want to do this to his friend, but Robin had left him with very little options.

Cyborg hooks him up to an IV and blood bag while he sleeps off the exhaustion and blood loss.

"Computer," Cyborg commands. "Edit Settings."

"Password-"

"Jump justice."

"Access granted."

"Change password for Edit Settings."

"Input new password," The computer monotones.

Cyborg looks at Robin sadly before saying, "Team fixed."

"Password Updated."

"Computer, update Robin's team position to citizen and mine to leader."

"System update : Robin-Leader to Robin-Citizen. System update : Cyborg-Team Member to Cyborg-Leader. System updated."

With one last glance at the restrained teen, Cyborg went to notify the team.

How are we supposed to get through this?