Chapter 7

Gotham
June 16, 18:37 EDT

- - - - - - - - - -

Bruce laughs with the men and straightens his tuxedo. Several bodies fill the hall, mingling with each other. Another man, dressed in his finest, taps Bruce on the shoulder. Bruce turns to face him.

It's Mr. David Saunders, head judge of Gotham.

"Hey! My man David," Bruce announces delightedly. "How are you? Where's your lady?"

"I'm just fine, and my wife is over in the corner talking to her girlfriends," the man smiles back, clasping Bruce's hand.

"I'm sure you're a very jealous man."

"I'm sure on any other day I would be, Mr. Wayne."

They share a laugh before Bruce Wayne excuses himself. He smiles and greets several other well-known families in Gotham. Eventually, he gets to the grand staircase in the front of the ballroom and the room goes silent.

"I would like to thank you all for your support," Bruce announces. His trained voice projects to the crowd, "Your generous donations to this years Father's Day event has gone and helped many sick dads reunite with their families. This could not have been done without every one of you- so, feel free to enjoy yourself tonight~ you've earned it!" He bows with a flourish and an uproar of applauds and shouts ring out through the room. 

He steps down and Mr. Saunders walks back up to him. "Bruce, I cannot tell you how thankful I am for tonight."

"You've thanked me for every charity party I throw," Bruce laughs. David just shakes his head.

"I just have a special feeling about tonight and what you're doing here in Gotham, Mr. Wayne," he grins. They make small talk until they get to the subject of Father's Day.

"My son sent me a package from China and a note about his adventures in the government, and let me just tell you, he is making his father proud," Mr. Saunders laughs hardily before continuing. "What about your ward, Mr. Wayne. I haven't seen him in awhile."

Bruce's face lost it's fake joyous smile. "I was just thinking about the same thing, David," He sighs.

Mr. Saunders puts a comforting hand on Wayne's shoulder. "My deepest apologies, friend. Is there still no word of his whereabouts?"

Bruce grimaces at the floor, "It's been a little over two years since he was taken from me."

"Do we know who took him? He surely couldn't have run away. That poor boy."

"Not even the police could track anything," Bruce sighs.

"And what about that other boy that stuck around you for sometime? Who was it... Jason- Jason  Todd?"

Bruce heard his own heart break. Why was the judge bringing this up? He already knew the answers. Bruce had to fight the blue-blooded battle however. He couldn't afford to look weak in front of all these money hungry hypocrites.

"He... died... an explosion. It was all over the news back in April."

"I'm so sorry," he stammers. "I had no idea! I was down in Germany visiting relatives. I'm sorry for your loss. Believe me, I know how much family means."

Because you weren't just conspiring to kill your wife, Bruce thinks.

"Let's hope that Richard didn't suffer the same fate. They'll find him, I'm sure."

That shoots like a knife through his heart. Bruce doesn't waver however, and thoughtfully smiles at the man who gives a sorrowful look back. The nerve of this guy.