Chapter 31

Gotham City
June 6, 18:07 EDT

- - - - - - - - - - 

"Access Denied."

Bruce locked him out?

8

Fine! If Bruce wasn't going to let him be his man in the chair- he was going to go out instead! Dick doesn't waste anytime running up to his room. He always hid spare uniforms in his closet just in case his other one got damaged or lost. But when he opens the secret compartment, it is empty.

Gone.

7

He wants to scream in frustration. How could they do this to him? How could Bruce do this to him? The man knew how much fighting meant to him. How much Dick needed it! So what if he had been hurt!

So what if it had made him want to kill himself!

The small teen lets out a angry sigh before remembering the one other place he kept his uniforms.

Mount Justice.

Dick hurries to get to the nearest Zeta Tube, but as he is on his way to the garage to pick up his bike, he stops as he hears the TV on in the living room. He approaches slowly and only caught a few words before Alfred quickly turns off the news and exits the enclosure.

"Master Richard, I thought you were in your room," Alfred monotones. Dick just stares at him blankly, but his emotions are getting out of hand.

"I thought I told you to stop calling me that," he breathes. "Dick is fine."

"Of course, Master Richard."

6

Dick just walks away, trying not to alert the butler of any suspicious activity. He should've realized that the man is a lot more observant than an old man would usually seem. "Where are you headed at this hour, Master Richard?" Stop calling me that!

"I'm just going to head outside for some fresh air. I was thinking the park perhaps. I can't stand being caged in here like some sort of bird anymore."

"I understand, but Master Bruce has specifically asked that you remain in the manor tonight." Dick winces as the older man puts a hand on his shoulder. How had he moved so fast? Dick didn't even hear him approaching! Dick stares wide eyed over his shoulder at the taller man who gave a small, comforting smile. "Please refrain from going out."

Dick gives a small laugh and his body starts to shake. Tears begin to well up in his eyes as he asks, "Joker escaped, didn't he?"

"Yes, Master Richard."

"Are you going to stop me if I choose to leave?"

"No," Alfred answers and Dick gains a little hope. Or at least, he did until the pseudo grandfather adds, "but I will contact Bruce and do everything that he deems necessary."

Dick laughs again, the tears flow freely now. "You would wouldn't you," he agrees. They stay like that for a bit before Dick mutters, "Forgive me."

In a moment, he renders the man unconscious and escapes to the garage. He quickly starts his motor bike, grabs his sunglasses, and tears down the driveway.

"Intruder Alert. Activating Defenses."

So Alfred wasn't unconscious after all. Well played, Dick thinks as he weaves through several nets and flying needles. When he nears the large gate, he presses a button and his bike launches into the air high enough to clear it. He grabs several small spheres and tosses them into the air where an invisible force field had been erected. It crackles with electricity for a moment, allowing Dick and his bike to fly through before closing a second later and resuming it's invisible appearance. Then he is off, tearing down the road to get to one particular phone booth.