Chapter 49

This Chapter is Dedicated to:
Nightlight3647

- - - - - - - - - -

Gotham
December 24, 20:49 EDT

- - - - - - - - - -

Claude finally starts to come to after what seems to be a few minutes. The girls did not waste anytime tying him up, but rather seem to be stuck arguing.

"Do you seriously expect me to keep this from Batman?!"

Artemis is pleading, but also getting irritated, "Just for a few more minutes until after I question him."

"You realize he was carrying a bomb, right? We don't have minutes," Batgirl shoots back. She is also nervous and angry. This man, who Artemis claims aided in the kidnappings of her bat-brothers, is trying to plant an explosive in the center of Gotham Academy. Thankfully, they managed to get the drop on him before he fully set it up. However, if Artemis is right about his connection to Deathstroke, then the mercenary is in Gotham City. "We have to tell Batman, now."

"If we do that, he's just going to keep us out of the loop again. Don't you want to help?"

"We are helping," Batgirl replies, but it is obvious she doesn't like the answer herself.

"Look," Artemis tries again. "We'll ask the questions, contact Batman, and then continue to protect the city. But he needs more help."

"He's got the Teen Titan's..." she mumbles. but seems to give in to Artemis's words.

The archer turns to look at their prisoner, who is tied to the brick support within the school. The bomb lays disassembled to the side to prevent anything from going off in case he escapes. Claude doesn't even try to trick the two, instead he just stands up straighter and gives them a small smile.

"Lovely evening, isn't it?" Claude inquires politely. Artemis glares at him a second before removing his monocle to inspect it. "Please don't break that."

"You're the clone of William Wintergreen, right?" Artemis asks rhetorically. The man's features and this monocle make it obvious. Claude tenses up a bit, but otherwise isn't surprised the daughter of Sports Master knew. "What's your name?"

"That not really what you want to ask, is it? I'm sure there are more pressing questions on your mind."

"Fine," Artemis agrees, irked. "How many other bombs are there?"

"I'm impressed. Focusing on the task at hand? I was certain you were going to ask about Robin- Excuse me, Robins."

Batgirl puts a hand on Artemis's shoulder with a scowl, "Face it, he's not going to give anything away anytime soon. I'm going to contact Batman."

Batgirl leaves, talking into her comms and Artemis is left with Wintergreen. She studies him for a bit, still holding the circular piece of framed glass. She messes around with it, throwing it up and down in her hand.

"So how'd you do it?" Claude remains silent, so Artemis just continues, "You must've blackmailed him, right? What did you use against him?"

"Isn't that a little off topic?"

"Just trying to figure out why. Why you do it."

Claude is confused, "Why I do what?" Why does she care?

"Well, do you really have a reason to be working for Deathstroke? Do you hate a particular hero or have a nasty ambition to rule the world? Just- why do you do it?"

Claude grimaces, feeling very targeted. He has never really thought about it before, but being interrogated by the enemy is no place to second guess sides. The butler has been given instructions, and he plans to fulfill them. "That doesn't matter-"