Chapter 12

Jump City
July 22, 07:12 PST

- - - - - - - - - - 

"Robin, I've finished the cuff casings," Cyborg says, walking into the med-bay. Robin audibly sighs, at least there are some good things in life.

"Thanks, Cyborg," he replies happily. "Now put them on me before I die of anxiety."

Cyborg snorts and he motions for Robin to lift up his hands. To Robin's surprise, instead of putting on the second layer of cuffs, he pulls out a paste.

"Did you get it to match my skin color?" He asks excitedly.

"I couldn't think of anything else that would work. I had a feeling the more metal would hinder your mobility in some ways."

Robin nods appreciatively.

"This should also pass for the 'what-are-you-talking-about?' Look. I'm hoping it'll keep the same thin appearance."

"Just put it on already," Robin crises, giddy. He really wanted to get out of this room again. Maybe live again.

Not moments later was the plastic like paste hardened against his skin. It smooths out so that you can only tell where the skin ends by texture alone. Robin gives happy sigh.

"Can I leave now?" he asks anxiously.

"You can lead now."

Robin whoops, past troubles totally forgotten. He races out of the room and onto the roof where he takes a deep breath of long-needed air.

"Robin!" Raven shrieks, shocked. He had disturbed her mediation.

He turns to face her, a wide smile spread across his face. She smiles back.

"Good to have you back."

"Good to be back."

They walk downstairs together, and Robin is welcomed back with a group hug.

"Dude," Beastboy chants, "you have no idea how much we've missed you." Then in the Boy Wonder's ear, he whispers. "I caught Raven peekin' at the video cams every once n' a while too."

"I heard that."

"You were meant to," Beastboy coos. He earned himself a very well-deserved slap against the back of the head.

Starfire holds him the longest, making Robin very conscious of how close she was. When she finally pulls away, there is a slight pink hue in his cheeks. He looks away quickly before running a hand through his greasy hair. He pulls it away, disgusted.

"Asterous. I must smell like lilies in the meadows of toxic waste," Robin states. 

"Asterous?" Raven sounds back, confused.

"Don't ask," Robin finishes. "I'm going to go shower."

Cyborg nods, "Good plan dude, I can see the fumes coming off of you."

Robin rolls his eyes before jumping away to his room. It felt good to use his muscles again, and he can't help but smile. Breathing in the familiar scent of his room, he commands his mirror windows to open. The entire wall vanishes letting in the fresh breeze of summer. He stands there for a second, just enjoying life. Then, he catches a whiff of himself and heads for the showers.

Hot water streams over his naked body as he washes away the oils of the last month. He inspects his new collection of scars: He traces the pinkest lines and then examines the old. Several sentences had been permanently inscribed into his skin including several of Joker's messages and words Robin came up with himself from the crossing over of two or more cuts. He swears that one of them says "Sane", but that might've been one of Joker's... he isn't quite sure anymore.