Chapter 14

Jump City
July 22, 08:06 PST

- - - - - - - - - - 

Dick stiffens and his heart skips a few beats. Why is everything falling apart like sand through his fingertips?

"You're right, however," Wintergreen admits. "I'm not just a principal. I was actually a detective in Gotham city not too long ago. And I have to admit, the young face of billionaire Bruce Wayne's son is a hard one to forget. I was one of the force dedicated to searching for you two years ago."

"Then, how did you end up as a principal for a high school across the US?" Dick isn't buying it, the man has to be lying. He had known everyone on the police force due to his Robin alter ego,  down to the last intern dating five years before he was even Robin. It's true that he might've recognized him for being Dick Grayson- the famous ward of Bruce Wayne. But this man was never on his missing case. After all, the world is filled with idiots, and Dick made sure that his case workers were full of them. There was something wrong with this man.

"I'm undercover," he gives with a smirk.

"For what?"

"It's classified-"

"Bull," Dick accuses. His Ben Smith mask had been stripped off and he was cringing in the light of the evidence that was being drawn up. Just how much did Wintergreen know? Dick slams his hands down on Wintergreen's desk, "What aren't you telling me?"

Wintergreen snaps and stand, towering over the boy who glowers back at him. "You are in no position to be asking questions, Grayson. You may be the ward of Wayne, but you're states away from Gotham, and I have a feeling that you don't want to go back."

"Is that a threat, Mr. Wintergreen?"

"You bet it is, so you're going to sit down so we can discuss next steps civically. Otherwise, I have a feeling that breaking my cover and hauling your ass back the Gotham would be much more rewarding."

Dick shuts his mouth before he can say, I'd like to see you try. He had forgotten that he was Dick Grayson, not Robin. He hasn't played the part in so long he had forgotten what it was like. It was much angrier than he remembered...

Dick sits back down in his chair with a huff and Wintergreen follows soon after.

There is a knock on the door, and the secretary comes in dragging Conner by the arm. He is straining to not shake the woman off him because she has an authoritative aura about her that makes trying seem risky- and he might hurt the poor human lady.

"Claude, I found this one sneaking outside the office."

"Bring him in," Wintergreen tells her without taking his eyes off of Dick. She gives him a short nod and sits him in the chair next to Dick with a quick shove. "Why are you here, child?" Wintergreen asks, still staring at Dick, who tries to shrink back into his seat.

"I was waiting for Ben to get done, we have classes together, sir," Conner explains.

He raises his eyebrow, "What a dedicated friend. Well I shouldn't keep you waiting, you boys should go."

They all stand up and as Dick follows Conner out of the door, Wintergreen presses something into his hand. He closes his fist around the paper and stuffed it into his pocket so naturally it makes Wintergreen raise another brow.

"Tell your teachers that I was holding you up," he adds.

When Conner and Dick are well down the halls away from the office, Conner turns to him annoyed.

"Why does the principal have sound proof walls?"

"There's a rumor that's been floating around for a while about him blasting his music so loud you could hear it on the other side of the building. Then we got a renovation," Dick lies. He is glad that Wintergreen had taken that precaution before their conversation. He had forgotten about Super boy's enhanced hearing, and isn't keen on him listening to their conversation.

Once in class, Dick sits separate of Conner, giving him the perfect opportunity to read the note Wintergreen had given him:

Come to my office after school.

Dick glares at the note, willing it to set on fire. Is this man planning to blackmail him? Dick has no doubt about that. However there was something different about Wintergreen than everyone else who's tried to blackmail him before. 

He seems- prepared.