ϟ13: MEETING THE GHOSTS OF THE PASTϟ

Start from the beginning

╚═══*.·:·.✧ ✦ ✧.·:·.*═══╝

Lily Evans couldn't have been happier. She was a witch, she had her best friend with her, and more importantly, she was a prefect.

She glowed with pride and happiness. Being a muggle born and having to prove to people she could be as good as the others finally proved fruitful. Nothing could dampen her mood, not even the annoying prats she had to deal with every year.

Maybe people still wouldn't take her seriously, maybe her orders as a prefect wouldn't mean much to people, and maybe people may try to thwart her.

But Lily Evans was not a person to go against. Underestimating redheads can have terrible consequences. She'd already built up her reputation of being a spitfire with a mean talent of hurling hexes. And Lily was going to live up to that, as always. 

"Come on, Severus, let's go!" Lily chirped, her smile not wavering in the slightest. Her hair was tied into a tight bun and a few strands framed her face well. There was a prefect badge pinned to her robes, shining proudly against the red and gold colours of Gryffindor. 

"I suppose we have enough time, Lily." Severus drawled, his greasy hair curtaining his sallow face. His expression was one of boredom, but his black eyes were glinting with amusement as he followed the bubbly redhead slowly. 

"You're no joy!" Lily declared dramatically, pushing past people in a hurry to get into the Great Hall seeing as she was absolutely famished.

Severus rolled his eyes but managed a small smile. Together they entered the Great Hall. Lily paused, and looked at the gleaming badge on her robes, uncertainty clouding her mind. Would she be worthy of it? 

Then she smiled brightly and straightened her shoulders. Some things were just out of her control and she'd just have to do her best. And that was that.

"I'll see you tomorrow after the Sorting, Sev!" she told him happily and waved her hand in farewell. 

"Bye." Severus mumbled moodily, certainly not look forward to his Prefect Duties. 

Smiling one last time at him, she waved goodbye and went to the Gryffindor table. After a good ten minutes, all the students had filed in, and the Great Hall was more noisier than ever with hundreds of students yelling in delight at seeing their friends after two months.  

Lily looked over to her right and spotted Marlene McKinnon and Mary MacDonald. The two girls, having sensed Lily's stare, looked at the new Gryffindor Prefect and smiled politely. Lily waved half-heartedly. They might have been dorm-mates, but they weren't that close. Again, Lily wasn't perturbed. It had been the same for five years, she hadn't exactly been counting on some changes this year.

"Wish they'd hurry up," a voice behind Lily whined. She turned around her seat and to her dismay, she found Sirius Black, James Potter, Remus Lupin and Peter Pettigrew standing with wide grins.

Great.

"Hello, Lily," Remus greeted her quietly, his brown hair falling to his forehead and almost covering his green eyes. There were scars that ran across his face, and some looked like they'd been recently inflicted upon. When Lily was eleven, being the overly curious girl she was, she'd asked Remus how he'd gotten the scars, hoping to be of some help if he was in trouble. Remus had laughed it off nervously and had told her he was just overly clumsy.

Lily hadn't believed him, but it wasn't her business to prod for more information.

"Hello, Remus," she inclined her head towards him slightly.