ϟ13: MEETING THE GHOSTS OF THE PASTϟ

"Live 'uns!" said Sir Patrick, spotting Harry, Ron, Rhea and Hermione and giving a huge, fake jump of astonishment, so that his head fell off again.

"Very amusing," said Nearly Headless Nick darkly, obviously irritated that he was ruining his death day party. "If I could have everyone's attention, it's time for my speech!" said Nearly Headless Nick loudly. "My late lamented lords, ladies, and gentlemen; it is my great sorrow . . ."

But nobody heard much more. Sir Patrick and the rest of the Headless Hunt had just started a game of Head Hockey and the crowd was turning to watch.

"Remind me to not die with my head beheaded." Rhea muttered, rubbing her hands together for warmth.

"I can't stand much more of this," Ron muttered, his teeth chattering, as the orchestra ground back into action and the ghosts swept back onto the dance floor.

"Let's go," Harry agreed.

"Pudding might not be finished yet," said Ron hopefully, leading the way toward the steps to the entrance hall.

". . . rip . . . tear . . . kill . . ."

Harry and Rhea froze. Clutching Harry's arm tightly, Rhea whispered, "Harry—can you hear—"

They stumbled to a halt, squinting up and down the dimly lit passageway.

". . . soo hungry . . . for so long . . ."

"What on earth is that?" Rhea spoke in a strangled, terrified whisper.

"Listen!" said Harry urgently.

". . . kill . . . time to kill . . ."

Harry looked at Rhea, who nodded, knowing exactly what he was thinking. "It's moving upwards," she said hurriedly.

"This way," Harry shouted, and he and Rhea began to run, up the stairs, into the entrance hall, with Ron and Hermione at their heels.

"Harry, what're we —"

"SHH!" Harry and Rhea snapped, sounding louder than Hermione and Ron themselves.

". . . I smell blood. . . . I SMELL BLOOD!"

"It's going to kill someone!" Harry shouted.

They hurtled around the whole of the second floor, not stopping until they turned a corner into the last, deserted passage.

"Harry, what was that all about?" said Ron, wiping sweat off his face. "I couldn't hear anything. . . ."

Harry inhaled sharply. "Look!"

Something was shining on the wall ahead. They approached slowly, squinting through the darkness. Foot-high words had been daubed on the wall between two windows, shimmering in the light cast by the flaming torches.

THE CHAMBER OF SECRETS HAS BEEN OPENED.

ENEMIES OF THE HEIR, BEWARE.

╔═══*.·:·.✧ ✦ ✧.·:·.*═══╗

*═══╗