EIGHTEEN

Word Count: 1915

I don't look over my shoulder until I've weaved through a few streets and emerged back onto the main road further into town.

Marek will be following me...I know he is. I just have to get back to Elan as soon as possible. I doubt Marek will appear when I with someone else, since he hasn't done so before, and as Kailor's personal guard, Marek may be intimidated by Elan. Although I doubt it. I can imagine how a stand-off between those Summoner's would go.

No one takes much notice of me as I walk down the cobblestone streets, pulling my hood up over my head some more. Everyone here is going about there day, looking similar to those from my village. I'm no amongst extreme wealth in this village like I am back at Kailor's estate.

Suddenly, from the corner of my eyes, I glimpse a flash of red hair disappear into a nearby shop.

Nakoa.

"Nakoa...What are you doing out here?" I call out, crossing the street to open the glass door. It's a clothing store of some sort, although not the clothing I would assume Nakoa would have any interest in wearing.

Right before I can grasp the handle, a figure steps in front of me. Stumbling back, I'm momentarily confused at who I'm looking at, the familiarity of them hitting me for a moment, although I can't quite grasp who they are.

"Don't bother. She doesn't trust you," she says, pulling her hand out in front of me, stopping me from following Nakoa inside. I frown, realising I do know who this girl is, with her dark hair, dark eyes and pretty face.

"You're the musician girl," I exclaim, remembering her brave retort to the King when she went off King.

"Clea," she introduces, extending her hand. I shake it lightly, unsure of what she is doing out here in this town, defending Nakoa. I remember the way they exchanged glances, like old friends sharing a silent joke. I remember being envious. "I have family in this village. Whenever Nakoa can get out of the King's clutches, I take her here to buy clothing and to have an ounce of freedom."

I glance over her shoulder, Nakoa now nowhere to be seen. "Is she your friend?"

"Yes," she mutters warily, raising a challenging eyebrow at me. Her eyebrows are dark and thick, taking up a good portion of her forehead. She really is quite pretty, in a rougher way than Nakoa. "You don't have any friends, do you?"

I bite the inside of my cheek, surprised I'm unbothered by how audacious she is, right to my face. She's right, and in doing so, is leaving me speechless for a moment, and then defensive, despite my admitted ease around her.

"I have Tai....And Zavian," I tell her firmly. Tai is most definitely my friend, but Zavian...I still haven't even spoken to him since I saw him feeding from Tani blood. Calling him my friend may be a stretch.

"It's okay, I don't mind being your friend, although Nakoa may be harder to convince," Clea admits.

I stare at her for a long moment. That's all it takes to acquire her as my friend?

"I don't trust her either," I confide, glancing over my shoulder to see if I'm still being pursued by Marek. He's nowhere to be seen, although I imagine he is close by, watching. "I don't trust anyone close to the King."

"She doesn't want to be, but to remain honourable and to feed money back into her family, she has no other choice," Clea defends, the bite to her tone undeniable. It's clear she is close to Nakoa, and protective over her. Even if Clea claims she will be my friend, she won't be putting me in front of Nakoa any time soon.

"Does she know you tell everyone her secrets," I ask flatly. This is the most information I've received about Nakoa since meeting her.

I decide not to mention what those Noble's had done to me last time I saw them.