ELEVEN

Word Count: 2541

Kailor's manor is far more magnificent than what my imagination could ever muster.

It's similar to Tai's in design, although older and more classic, evocative of gothic mansions you would sooner see in the dark depths of the Scarlet Province. The entire building is shadowed by the trees that circle the area, the minimal amount of sun shining over glinting off the sweeping windows and grand archways.

"At any point you want, we leave," Tai tells me firmly, gripping my hand. I swallow uncomfortably, nodding. Tai is the one who should be worrying, since this moment means re-establishing a very broken relationship with his father.

At least this will take my mind off last night.

Tai and I didn't mention what happened for the rest of the journey here. We kissed, the feeling still lingering on my lips, reminding me of what I started. I want to be embarrassed, but I'm not. I wanted to kiss Tai, and for whatever reason, I don't regret it.

"I will be okay, don't worry about me," I say absently, brushing my slightly greasy locks from my hair. I feel like I haven't washed it in properly in days. I'm hardly in any state to approach Kailor, but at this point, I couldn't care less what he thinks of me.

Tai's jaw seems permanently clenched as we approach the front door, the intimidating height of it looming over me, shadowing me. The rest of the exterior is just as beautiful, in a strange, ethereal way. The columns that line the front are carved out symmetrically, vines creeping up them like dark tendrils.

I watch Tai hesitate before knocking twice on the door.

A young man answers the door, taking one glance at Tai before motioning us inside. The inside of the home is as magnificent as the outside. We are inside a long, wide hallway, tall windows allowing beams of light to gleam across the marble flooring. Our footsteps echo off the vaulted ceiling that's carved and painted skilfully.

From down the hallway, Kailor approaches, adorned in a dark green jacket, dark brunette curls slicked back against his head. Immediately his rich ebony gaze falls upon Tai, examining him intently before they sweep to me.

There's a formidable darkness that graces his eyes at the sight of me.

"Father," Tai greets flatly.

"You're alive," Kailor notes, somewhat grimly. "I thought Vaia got to you first."

"We managed to escape," Tai says curtly, clasping his hands behind his back. Out of the corner of my eye, I notice the way his hands quiver slightly, still intimidated by his father. "I will explain all later. For now Akara needs rest. You and I can talk."

Kailor looks at me with a raised brow. Only a glance from him alone is enough to have fear and disgust dancing together in my stomach. For however long, I'm going to be under his roof, at his mercy. But right now, we don't have the luxury of being picky.

"Of course," Kailor murmurs, gaze shifting to the boy who let us in. "Show her to a guest suite."

Tai nods tightly at me, letting me know I can trust this.

With a sigh, I follow the boy down the hallway and up a flight of stairs, trying to make note of where the front door is. The last thing I need is to get lost in this place, especially with Kailor walking around. My mind wanders back to what he had once offered me...A night in his bedroom, accusing me of being a mistress to Tai and nothing more.

Ignoring the twist in my stomach, I follow behind the boy, silently admiring the work's of art hung on the wall. Instead of being infamous ancestors, they are portraits of landscapes, of vases of flowers of flowing rivers.