FORTY ONE

Word Count: 1831

¬Akara

Tonight, there is going to be no chance for me to avoid Kailor.

Tai has already told me I can stay in my room tonight and not go, but the entire purpose of this event is to appear normal, so news will get back to Vaia and she will think we are no longer bothered by her rebellion. It's a long shot, but we hope her guard will lower as a consequence, which means that as much as I don't want to, I'm going to have to go. It's held downstairs, in the ballroom.

A knock sounds from my door, making me flinch. I've been awfully jumpy recently.

"Come in," I exclaim mindlessly, pulling my hair back around my face after putting in some earrings. I can't remember the last time I dressed up like this, in a gown and everything. The ring Tai gifted me is still securely placed around my finger, not having gone anywhere since it was first put on my finger.

"Out of respect for my friend, perhaps I shouldn't step over this threshold." I turn. Zavian leans against the doorways entrance, dressed neatly in a dark blue suit, his black hair swept back and styled perfectly.

"Oh, Zavian. I was expecting Tai," I note. "Come in."

Despite looking somewhat reluctant, he steps into the room. Tai knows Zavian and I have established a friendship, even if he doesn't know the grounds it started on. The understanding that Zavian and I have is one that goes beyond friendship though. We have mutual trust for our unique situations, and I feel confident I can confide in him with anything.

"He asked me if I could escort you," Zavian admits, meeting my gaze through the mirror as I face it. He's anticipating my disappointment, but I've learnt how to expertly hide it recently. "He's wrapped up with something going on with the guards."

I sigh. "You look very handsome."

"And you look very beautiful," he responds quietly. "Does Tai notice the dark circles under your eyes, your sallow skin and pale lips?"

I turn back to look at myself, at what Zavian has pointed out. Despite the makeup on my face, I've failed to hide what makes me look so unwell. At least my hair, all braided and neat looking, and my crimson coloured gown take away from my face...At least that's the intended effect, since tonight, I don't think I can handle Kailor criticising my looks.

"Ouch Zavian. I thought I looked nice," I retort, smiling at him in the mirror, even though I can't muster up enough humour to make it look convincing. Zavian doesn't return the smile, looking grim.

"You always do," he responds. "You look sick."

I turn back to him, smoothing down the non-existent wrinkles in my dress. "That's what happens when you're dying."

Any moment now, I could throw up blood everywhere and be on the edge of death. Were it not for Zavian, I don't doubt I would be dead by now, Tai's magic having failed me. He's shouldering a lot of guilt for it, but had he not healed me that night, with Vaia, I would be long gone now anyway. I just hope I have enough time left to find a cure.

"Do I need to bring you some blood?" Zavian's body is tense as I sit next to him. He doesn't look so well himself, the symptoms of withdrawals taking a slow but tortuous toll on his body. It's obvious he hates sharing it with me, hates increasing the chance I'll become addicted like him, but there's no other choice other than to let me die.

"Later," I exclaim, glancing at the door as if Tai may appear and overhear our conversation at any moment. "I haven't been feeling addicted, which is a relief."

Zavian looks down at his hands, twisting at a silver bracelet on his wrist. I wonder if Tai made that for him. "What a wonderful feeling that would be."