FORTY THREE

Word Count: 1770

~Akara

I couldn't sleep that night.

Tai wanted to be alone, which I could never fault him for. As much space as he needs, I'm willing to give him, especially since he offered me that in the months after the rebellion, after Marek betrayed me. But once I woke, had breakfast and even lunch, Tai did not once leave his room. Now, evening is encroaching, and I've decided I need to see him, that I can't handle this much worry.

The door handle is icy cold under my fingertips as I step inside the room. In fact, the entire room is cold, the windows open, curtains billowing in the breeze.

On the bed, Tai lies, shirtless and sweating, but completely unconscious. I rush to him, grabbing his clammy hand tightly in mine, his skin burning hot while my teeth chatter with the temperature in the room. Panic sets in deep, as I shake him, but he refuses to wake.

"Tai!" I scream, gripping at his skin to the point I know I'm leaving marks, shaking and slapping him in places to try get him to snap out of this unconsciousness. "Wake up...Please, you have to wake up."

For a frightening moment, flashbacks to Tai on the verge of death from killing the Beast swarm to the front of my mind. The way his eyes are half shut, dark hair plastered to the front of sweaty forehead is exactly like how he was on his deathbed. I try not to let the horror completely envelop me at the thought of his death, that we both have been fleeing from it for too long, and it's caught up to is.

With a gasp, he sits up, pushing out of my arms, nearly bashing our heads together as he does so.

I give him his space, breathing in deeply, trying to quash my panic. "You're okay...I'm so glad you're okay."

"What happened?" he questions, looking around the room as if he had been knocked unconscious by someone else. When he realises it's just me in here, the tension floods from his shoulders, his entire torso bowing forward as his hands fall into his hands.

"I don't know, you were unconscious and wouldn't wake up," I recall, shuddering. I hated seeing that. Does Tai have to go through this every time he sees blood pouring from my body? If so, then I'm not sure how he can sleep at night, since I doubt I'll see a hint of it once again tonight, and this time, it won't be because of Evolet, who still roams lose in the manor.

Tai winces, griping either side of his head. "My head hurts."

"I don't understand," I breathe. "Are you still feeling unwell? Since last talked about it?"

It's not been easy to forget Tai's infliction, since killing the Beast, but it has been made easier considering my own illness. We are both plagued by the consequence of killing the Beast, which is what for being mortals killing an immortal, powerful being. This is nature's way of playing with it's cruel demons, and we are going to die because of it.

"It comes and it goes. I thought I was doing well, that the effects of killing the Beast weren't affecting me anymore," Tai admits sheepishly, although I'm not sure how true that it. Maybe he is saying that to not draw attention to himself.

"Why didn't you tell me you're still sick?" I question, unsure if I'm angry at him...I'm too grateful for him being alright to even consider being mad.

Tai glances down at my stomach. "Because I'm not nearly as sick as you are."

"Why don't you wait here and rest." Not giving Tai a chance to protest, I gently press him back by the shoulder until he is laid flat back against the bed. Still weak, he doesn't move as I lean down to kiss his check. I know what I have to do, even if I can hardly bring myself to do it.