TWELVE

Word Count: 2614

I'm not exactly sure how I've ended up here.

Kailor sits in front of me as we ride in one of his royal carriages, heading toward a nearby village. It was only last night that he proposed to me that if I wished to stay with him, I would have to work for it. Tai adamantly protested, but I agreed to do it after Kailor explained to me what he required.

It's simple, in reality. He requires me to show face at one of his speeches, where he coerces small villages into siding with him, trying to get enough support so people will be willing to turn into rebel sympathizers.

Kailor believes I was, and still am a symbol of hope for young boys and girls in the small villages that dream of growing up to marry a King. I came from a place like them, so they can relate more to their cause. If they see me at this speech ceremony, Kailor believes they will more likely to side with him.

I don't know how to feel about it, especially since Tai isn't joining us.

"I was afraid for a moment that Taius wouldn't allow you to join me," Kailor says, looking at me under dark brows. Zavian sits beside him, hands tucked on his lap, looking out the window. Kailor claims it's too dangerous to be out, which I agree with. Tai made the argument that it would be the same for me, but I'm willing to do this if it means less people siding with Vaia.

"He doesn't trust you," I say sharply, resting my gloves hands atop my lap, trying to reign in my frustration from being in such close proximity to Kailor.

Up close, he is somewhat less intimidating. His eyes are dark and void, shadows dusting under his eyes. His skin is less worn than what I would expect from someone his age, in his position, only a few creases littered around his mouth and forehead.

"Good. A King should trust no one, not even his Nobles," Kailor says smoothly, glancing at the man seated next to him. "Zavian, you will learn that in time."

Zavian frowns slightly.

"Allow me to maintain that I'm only doing this to keep my place here," Zavian drawls, not afraid to hold Kailor's gaze for a long moment before looking back out the window. He clearly doesn't enjoy being a Noble to the King.

"What happened to the rest of your psychotic toys?" I question.

"Evolet disappeared the day it happened, alongside Nesrin," Kailor says, shrugging. "Evolet may be dead, as she hasn't announced herself. Nesrin made it clear she was siding with my daughter. Due to Evolet's boastful nature I would assume that if she were against me, she would have announced it by now. Instead, I hope she is dead."

I shiver, remembering when Evolet demanded Marek to kill me. I can't argue that it would be a bad thing if she were dead, since she clearly liked to cause trouble.

"So you have traitors inside you own territory?"

"We have since investigated everyone within the premises and those conspiring against me have since been slaughtered," he tells me simply. Instead of sounding guilty or regretful for what he is done. My stomach churns uncomfortably, the thought of Kailor's men viciously killing people due to their affiliation with Vaia making me want to be sick at the King's feet. None of them deserve a fate that...Final.

"Tai really is nothing like you," I growl lowly, no longer frightened of what Kailor is capable of doing to m.

"The blood of King's flows through his veins, I can assure you of that," Kailor responds, eyes like a void of obsidian darkness. "He is fated to end up like me, in whatever way that may transpire. The man you trust hasn't lived long enough to be corrupted, but he will be."