CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE

THE COLD GOODBYES
✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

THE COLD GOODBYES ✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

281 AC, Harrenhal

The day they would leave Harrenhal had finally arrived and one thing everyone could agree on was that this tourney would go down in history.

But not as the greatest tourney of the century, but as the tourney that changed the course of Westeros. For whereas Prince Rhaegar had been beloved by all when he arrived, he was hated by most when he left.

The moment he had crowned Lyanna his Queen of Love and Beauty he had lost most of the support he had worked for years to build up.

Dorne and the Reach hated him for shaming their beloved wolf princess.

Robert loathed him even more than before for crowning his betrothed, so he had lost the Stormlands support forever.

The North despised him for managing to insult House Stark twice in one move.

Rhaegar knew this, Aerys knew this and Alyssa knew this.

Alyssa feared what would happen after this, knowing that the tension between her husband and good-father already was tense enough for everyone to fear a second Dance of Dragons. But with the new unrest between the noble houses the stability of the crown was completely rubbed.

Alyssa hadn't spoken to Rhaegar since the morning before the last joust. He had tried to speak with her a few times during the closing feast but she had ignored him and as soon as possible she had joined the dancing.

Arthur had been the first one to dance with her, promising her that he had no idea what Rhaegar was going to do and he was followed by several other men; her brothers, Robert, Oswell, Barristan, Gerold, Lewyn, and several northern lords.

But Rhaegar had been clever enough to not approach her. In fact, he hadn't left the dais all evening and when he did it was to retire early.

In reality, Alyssa didn't know what to feel towards her husband in the moment. She felt betrayed, sad and angry at him, but at the same time she blamed herself.

When she was younger and before she got married she vowed to herself that she wouldn't be one of those foolish girls who fell for her husband only for him to break her heart. But she had really believed that Rhaegar loved her, but how could a person who loved her cause her so much pain?