CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX

THE PRINCE OF DRAGONSTONE
✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

THE PRINCE OF DRAGONSTONE ✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

283 AC, Tower of Joy

The sun slowly rose over the Red Mountains illuminating the Dornish landscape. The Dornish sand looked redder than ever and the palms rustled when the soft morning wind blew.

The mornings were probably his favourite part of the day here. He had the blood of the dragon so the heat of the dornish sun didn't really affect him, but for some reason he preferred the light breeze of the mornings.

He didn't know if it was because he could close his eyes and pretend that he was at home instead or that it was the calmest and quietest part of the day. The only sound was the birds singing in the trees, no one nagging or complaining about something he had done or hadn't done.

Over a year had passed since he left King's Landing, or more importantly his wife and children. He had always seen himself as a person who didn't take many risks and always thought through his decisions to fault. He had no idea what had happened this time.

Because of him the realm was being torn apart by a war. The Houses Stark, Baratheon, Arryn and Tully had rebelled against the crown and tens of thousands had already died because of his decisions.

Along those tens of thousands his own wife's older brother and father had been the first to to die which had ignited the revolt to begin with. And despite not knowing the two Stark men that well his heart broke when the news reached them of their deaths because he knew how heartbroken Alyssa must be.

Rhaegar, Arthur and Lyanna sat around a table breaking the fast. No one said a word which he was partly happy about. They had arrived a few days ago and to say that the travel through the Riverlands and the Reach until they reached Dorne had been tensed to say the least.

Arthur still only spoke to him if it was necessary, otherwise he  kept silent. In the beginning Lyanna had tried to speak with the Dayne knight, seeming to hold a great admiration towards him, much like her younger brother Benjen, but Arthur was barely polite in return. The normally charming Arthur who had been replaced by curt responses and sharp looks.

Rhaegar drank some water as he looked at Lyanna who was watching her food with scepticism. He guessed she wasn't used to the spicy food native to Dorne, or the heat, or the lack of servants around. She really was the opposite of her sister in most ways despite their few similarities and shared blood.

He knew it wasn't fair to compare Lyanna to Alyssa, but he couldn't help himself when he missed his wife. Both Stark girls had little interest for lady activities like embroidery and loved riding, but that was pretty much where the similarities ended.