CHAPTER FOURTEEN

THE CITY OF VIPERS
✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

THE CITY OF VIPERS✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

279 AC, Dragonstone

"And what exactly did we think?" Alyssa asked looking between her husband and the Lord of Griffin's Roost. She had to admit that the King hadn't looked nor acted very kingly and he was extremely paranoid, but how bad could it be?

"The King — he has developed a fascination with fire" Jon said subtlety, sending a look towards Alyssa like he wished her to leave so he could speak more freely.

"A fascination with fire?" she asked, "As he wants his bedchamber to become warmer or-"

"Or he uses wildfire to execute prisoners" Jon finished, his eyes solely on Rhaegar who gripped the knife in his hand a little tighter. "It has only happened twice, but I fear this is only the beginning."

"What of Rhaella and Viserys? Are they well?" Alyssa asked worriedly. She knew that the state of the Queen and King's marriage wasn't well and she had seen the marks to prove it. She also worried for Viserys, he was still young and innocent to the world around him.

"They are fine. But that is not important-" Jon said dismissively, still ignoring her to look at Rhaegar instead.

"Not important? You just told us that the King burns people alive, yet the safety of your Queen and prince is not of importance to you?" she asked incredulously and Jon finally looked at her. His eyes were blazing with irritation and his face was starting to turn red from anger.

"Of course it's of importance. But we have more urgent matters to discuss in the moment so know your place-"

"Know my place?" Alyssa snapped, "Oh I know my place. I'm Rhaegar's wife-"

"That is enough " Rhaegar said loudly, "I would appreciate if the two of you could stop acting like children."

Alyssa clenched her jaw but didn't say anything. Her gaze then shifted her husband's clenched hand and she placed her own over his in a reassuring matter. Jon Connington's glare burned into the side of her head but she ignored him.

"The King is not healthy" Jon continued, "Rhaegar you need to return to the Capital. Your father has no interest in ruling the Realm and you need to be there so no one else can take advantage of the situation."

Rhaegar looked away from Jon and turned his hand to play with Alyssa's absentmindedly as he looked at her. They both knew what this meant, if Rhaegar went back she'd have to do the same. The King would demand to see Lyrella, or more to judge her.

Jon seemed to notice Rhaegar's hesitation, "What is there to hesitate over? You need to rule the Kingdoms in your father's place before Tywin Lannister gets any ideas."