CHAPTER THIRTY-SEVEN

THE WOLF AMONGST VIPERS
✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

THE WOLF AMONGST VIPERS✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

291 AC, The Water Gardens

The Dornish sun was just as unbearable as she remembered and she loved it.

It was weird how a person could feel at home in two places that was so different from each other. For her two favourite places in Westeros would always be the North and Dorne.

It had been almost fifteen years since she last was there and while she knew she had missed it she had no idea how much.

"It's lovely to see you again, Alyssa," Doran said from his seat on a balcony overlooking the Water Gardens.

"Likewise, Doran," Alyssa said, leaning down to kiss both of his cheeks in greeting. Even though it had only been a little over a decade since the last time she saw him, Doran seemed to have aged much more.

"You must excuse me for not greeting you properly," Doran apologised, "My legs have been bothering me as of late."

"No worries," Alyssa said dismissively, "I do not require a grand greeting. In fact, I thank you for helping me to keep my arrival a secret."

"It's not many times that I manage to surprise my younger brother," Doran admitted with a small smile, "I must take all the chances I can get. Please sit down."

Alyssa sat down in one of the other chairs on the balcony and Kēlio jumped up to sit in her lap. "I must admit, when I heard rumours about a lion living in Casterly Rock, I did not believe it to be true."

"I found him in the woods and simply could not leave him behind," Alyssa laughed, "and now I have definitely grown attached to the little one. He is like a fluffy extra child. And speaking of children, how are yours?" she wondered, "The last time I saw Arienne she only reached my waist and I don't believe I've met Quentyn and Trystane."

"They are growing up faster than I would like," Doran sighed, "Arienne is in that wonderful age when she is starting to get her own ideas on how to do things and won't listen to anyone else's reasonings."

"I don't actually believe I ever fully left that age," Alyssa joked, "And it might be good that she learns how stand up for her believes. However, a good ruler must now when to listen to others too."

"That is exactly what I am trying to tell her," Doran said, "But you know children, they always believe they know best. And it has only gotten worse since Mellario left."

"Aye, I heard about that," Alyssa said, "You have my sympathies for I know how it is to be left behind."

"I still have my children," Doran said with a sad smile, "But it's always hard to lose someone," he said, his eyes looking far away and she immediately knew who he was thinking of.