Chapter 39 🖤

Okay...I'm going to apologize beforehand for this crap after so long of not updating 😭 I promise I'll do better next time.

- Your absent writer <3

***

Isabel's POV

"Gorgeous" my best friend let out as she steps away from me to admire her work. "If Lucas doesn't ask you to marry him tonight or something, then he blind or gay or both" she shrugs and I roll my eyes at her stupid comment before letting out a small giggle.

I was going on a date...
A date with Lucas King.
Wait...was it even a date thought? He just asked to have dinner with me. Does that qualify as a date? I could feel myself slowly starting to fall into Kelsey's overthinking and imagination.

Even if it was a date or whatever I was prepared for it, Kelsey made sure of that by forcing me into the reddest dress I've ever seen with the sidecut and with a very revealing top half but long sleeve accompanied by a clean pair of heels which I can barely stand on.

"Lips" Kelsey instruct approaching me with red lipstick and I push out my lips so she could color them. "I love it here" she once again starts gushing and I push my once curly hair on my shoulder which Kelsey had taken upon herself to flat iron.

A knock from the door makes my heart drop to the point of almost giving me a heart attack as I knew exactly who it was and that it was time. I was going to dinner with Lucas King.

"Your good? You are sure you want to still do this" Kelsey ask probably already noticing how my hands were getting all sweaty and my body was slightly shaking from the thought of going to dinner with a man that has turned my life upside down for the worst, and a man whom I hated so much that I could kill him without even a second thought but somehow grew fond of.

"Y-yeah...it's all good. I can do this...right??" I look up at Kelsey in panic mode before my eyes quickly turn back to the door as another knock was heard coming from the front door as no one had answered on the first one.

" I'll go get it. Take a second alright" with that Kelsey walk out of the room to go get the door and I turn to the mirror to take a last look at myself. I was going to do this. Go out with a man that had taken me without my consent to live with him for months and pretend that we're just normal people doing normal people shit.

The butterflies that I thought I had control over erupting in my stomach causing my legs to feel weaker than they had ever felt even with me seating down and all as his voice echoed through the room, so just imagine how much I would have embarrassed my self if I was standing up.

"Wow" Lucas breaths behind me and shivers run down my back like a bad case of chickenpox "you look gorgeous" if I can recall, this was the first time I had ever gotten a compliment from him, and it feels so nice his compliments.

"T-thank you" I manage to squeak out finally getting the energy to get up and face away from the mirror to look at him. He looks nice. Formal even for him. Different. Handsome. "You don't look so bad your self" I try to compliment as well trying to not seem too invested in his gorgeous face and already very built handsome posture.

"Thank you" Lucas chuckles looking down almost in a shy manner causing me to blush and look away. This almost felt like teenage years, well I'm not sure how a teenage crush feels like but if I were to take a guess I'd say about something like what was happening right now.

"Gosh, y'all so cute" Kelsey whom I think we both had forgotten about squeal and grab both of our hands and put my hand in his "go on don't be shy kids have fun" she continues excitedly, and if I was not in as much of a shock as Lucas right now I would be laughing my ass off at how much my best friend had changed and how my life was the weirdest shit ever right now.

"Kels" I giggle feeling Lucas's warm hands wrap around my small ones.

"I mean you heard the lady" he smiles down at me in the warmest manner possible. I don't know if he was genuinely being this kind toward me because he genuinely likes me for some reason or was just being this way to keep me from breaking into the small little pieces I was broken into not that long ago.

I wave bye with my free hand to my best friend who remains fangirling for whatever reason in my room as Lucas helps me toward the front door. Although the sleeves of my dress were long to protect me from the night cold, the cold wind still manages to take my breath away and shivers ran down my spine. Probably noticing how I was shivering already and I had not even left my doorstep Lucas chuckles and take off his suit and throw it over my shoulder while bringing me close into him as he helps me walk to the passenger side of the car and open the door for me.

"Thank you" I didn't need a mirror to know that both sides of my cheeks were red and a flame as I get in the car and pull the jacket closer into me, his delicious scent already probably now sticking onto my skin, which I did not mind at all. If I could have this smell surrounding me when I sleep at night that would be the greatest thing ever.

The calmness and security it made me feel was already proof that I would never once have any kind of nightmares again.

"Do you need a jacket from inside, I'll get one for you. It's a bit chilly out" Lucas offers and I found myself quickly shaking my head denying his request because I didn't want to get out of his jacket, that may be selfish and weird and disgusting finding comfort in the scent of someone who brought me hell for months, and as much as I would love to always deny the fact that he brought me warmth when I was close to him I can't because he does.

He cared for me in ways only my best friend has through that bull shit of my life had turned into, not that it was never a bull shit, he made me feel like I was this precious little jewel that he needed to protect and I appreciate that for the first time in my life.

"Alright" he turns to face me offering me a small smile after he had put on his seat belt and I offer one back.

I was happy. Truly happy for once.