13 |The Marabout's 1000 Profound Steps.[Kahf's Wager - 2]

Beginne am Anfang

The words of Prince Firdaws rang through his mind again, making him to hold his head with a grimace. It felt like an ugly headache was rearing its head, just because of the prince's resounding voice in his head. This was the second time the prince's words had recurred in his head like a warning signal.

“I woulda said ‘DamyuPrinceFirdaws’, but my Ustadh had forbidden me from swear words.” Abdul Bâqi murmured to himself, nodding his head with a sense of self-righteousness.

Relieving his hand, he suddenly smirked and said,“The average person, hahn..?” Wiping the grin off his face, he looked up the arch of the 61st archway. He had tarried there long enough. After analyzing the five inscriptions for a while, he said,“This here, what remains is the fifth pattern, which has two different connotations..

Since it's the word ‘Malak’ (Angel), it shouldn't be of the ‘Ardun’ (Land) connotation. In which case, it must fit into the ‘Al Mawt’ (Death) connotation. Even though there's an angel on every errand, and there are angels on Earth, ‘Malakul Mawt’ (The Angel of death) is a more apt reference in the Holy Qur'an, due to its being a notable term therein.

That completes the fifth group of words for this archway..”

Even as he read the inscriptions on a parchment he upheld as he made his way to the 62nd archway, he laughed,“There's actually a pattern to this thing.” 

By now, he had come to a conclusion that there was a constant pattern to the archway inscriptions such that, every archway had each of its five inscriptions having a corresponding word in all of the other archways.

“Basically, the inscriptions on every archway seem to have four reoccurring connotations and one alternating fifth on every archway I come across,” Abdul Bâqi said, as he arrived at the present archway and looked up at the excellent work of calligraphy shining in the golden evening sunset,

“The four reoccurring patterns relate to these four in their essence;

Maa'un (Water)

Yawmul Aakhirah (The Last Day)

Qadr (Predestination)

Insân (Man)

As for the fifth inscription on every archway that seems to have an inconsistent pattern, it's because there are two different connotations that can be picked at any one time, and they alternate on every archway. These two are: Al Mawt (Death) and Ardun (Land)..

On the archway where I find the inscription of ‘Death’, there's no ‘Land’, and where I find the inscription of ‘Land’, there's no ‘Death’..

I'm sure it's not any different up the remainder of the 1000 Steps. This already ran through all the archway inscriptions I've gone through so far, and consequently, all the archway inscriptions and their ãyaat, must all fit into these..

The fifth inconsistent pattern is either an alternating connotation, or..” Abdul Bâqi paused for a while, thinking,

“Could it rather be that there are six patterns, and not five..??

..Perhaps I should see more.”

Even as he climbed the steps, he continued noting the strange recurrence, and how it fit without fail in his ‘Pattern Theory’. He had decided to sojourn only at every tenth archway to write down the ãyaat for the inscriptions, and so, until he got to the 70th archway, he was only going to be analyzing inscriptions.

He reached an archway and stopped for a while, considering the inscriptions there with interest,“This arch has both the inscriptions ‘Nushûr’ (Resurrection) and ‘Irjaa'un’ (Return). Usually they'd all fall under the category whose essence is indicative of ‘Yawmul Aakhirah’ (The Last Day), since they all relate to the same thing.