KNOT 28 - THE LAST KNOT

It was a splendid night with the blue moon gracing the sky, the hadanas and jursas lining up her path, flowers blooming on her every step, and a beautiful music playing as her hair swayed with the soft breeze.

***

Jiyong's arms were rigid, his blank eyes staring at the white door in front of them. Seungri was tightly hugging him but he did not even give him a glance. He swallowed hard, trying to even out his breathing. Odd. He could hear his heartbeat, and the noise surrounding him sounded like faraway echoes reverberating on his ears.

She's gone, Mr. Kwon.

That couldn't be right. Cheeseball would not leave him. She knew he was waiting for him.

"Hyung", Seungri lightly shook him.

"No", Jiyong said hoarsely and pushed him. He turned around and began to walk slowly away from there, still clutching the strawberry backpack in his hand. The memory of their first meeting flashed in his mind.

No...

Memory of her following him from behind as they walked on the street.

Dara...

Her beautiful smile as she called him 'hubby'.

Come back to me..

Her peaceful sleeping form next to him as he woke up in the morning.

Please...come back.

***

The ruler of the underworld looked at Dara as they slowly walked towards the gate. The small candle in his hand felt heavier with every step they took, which was odd. He creased his eyebrows and glanced back at Yang Goon and Jae Sang who were still watching them as she accompanied the soul of Heloise.

Suddenly, a swirling glittery white smoke and black smoke appeared behind Jang Hyuk and Dara. Jae Sang smiled when Hadana Bom and Jursa Seunghyun stepped out. They threw their ethereal orbs in the air and the two spheres combined, exploding in a shower of cherry blossom petals.

Dara's steps halted, and so did Jang Hyuk. She stared at the beautiful scene - with the cherry blossom petals flying all around them. But with each petal, she saw flashes of her and a man that she didn't recognize. Memories? Were those her memories?

Cheeseball. That voice. Are you here to do some drama rants again? Why did it sound so familiar? We will grow old together, right? Dara's eyes widened, her fists curling in tight balls. Where's strawberry?

Dara...Please come back.

A strong wind blew and Jang Hyuk shut his eyes momentarily. When he slowly opened them, what he saw was something that would be part of the legends surrounding the Underworld and Upperworld. Dara's pinky finger was now tied with a red string that stretched through an unseen end. He looked at the lunar matchmaker god in bewilderment, but the latter just shrugged his shoulders while smiling. Beside him, Jae Sang was laughing incessantly.

Red string tied to a soul? All the jursas and hadanas began murmuring, some gasping in shock. Bom and Seunghyun exchanged glances and smiled. They had succeeded in gathering the destined couple's memories during their life as a mortal and showering it back to her during the crucial time. It would not be possible if not for the blue moon that magnified the lunar matchmaker god's powers.

The red string danced and sparkled beautifully - a strong bond between the destined couple that no one had ever seen before... A string of destiny that matched the one between Heloise and Abelard nine hundred years ago.