KNOT 24 - HIS SMILE

"There is nothing we can do. Sandara Park is going to die on the coming full moon", the hadana muttered, desperation laced in her voice. The two former deities are completely unaware that the topic of their conversation is hiding behind the tree.

Dara was frozen on her spot; Bom's voice resonating in her mind. Sandara Park is going to die on the coming full moon. Is the hadana just being poetic and metaphoric again, like how she always was? Maybe the two are discussing something that is completely unrelated to death. Or perhaps...she really is going to die. A soft whimper escaped her lips, catching the attention of the two.

"Who's there?" the jursa asked in alarm. He hurriedly strode towards the source of noise and was dumbfounded to see Dara leaning on the tree, her face almost devoid of color. "Dara", he mumbled. Upon hearing Dara's name, the hadana immediately followed him. Her heart sank when she saw Dara in her current state.

"Is it true?" Dara asked, darting her eyes between the two former deities who were unable to say anything. "I-I will die soon?"

"Dara, please lis-...", Bom touched her shoulder but Dara quickly shrugged her off.

"Tell me the truth." She demanded. "Please...tell me the truth."

The jursa sighed in exasperation and hung his head low. He is a trickster deity and he is used to seeing the misery of the destined couple assigned to him brought about by the misfortunes that he himself casted to strengthen their bond. But his situation now is nothing like when he's hidden in the realm of deities, unseen by humans. He is used to seeing pain and suffering but seeing that pain in the eyes of one of the destined couple while looking at him directly in the eyes is entirely different. Jiyong also looked at him with those eyes before. It is suffocating.

"Yes", hearing Bom's shaky voice, his head turned towards the hadana, noticing her hands tightly curled up in fist. "Yes, Dara. You heard us right."

"Hadana Bom..." Seunghyun said. He reached out for her and enclosed her fist with his hand, squeezing it.

"Then, is there a way to save my life?" Dara asked.

"We are not sure", the hadana replied.

"W-What?"

"We became mortals for the red string to be untied", she continued. "Our combined ethereal orbs are the reason why you and Jiyong became physically tied by the red cord. After that, we learned that you were supposed to die and it was the red string that was hindering your death. However, it does not mean that the ruler of the underworld is incapable of taking your soul forcefully. We had no choice but to become temporary mortals and give up our powers so that you two can be untied because...", Bom swallowed hard, holding back her tears that are threatening to fall, "...because death is absolute. Jiyong cannot be tied to a corpse"

Dara's knees wobbled and she slumped on the ground, unable to believe what she's hearing.

"Your soul was supposed to be taken a long time ago but an oath was made so that you can have more time in the human world. But your time is running out."

"Stop", Dara whispered hoarsely. "Why-..How can this be happening?", she asked while looking up at the two former deities. "Am I supposed to be thankful because I was given more time to live?" she asked and chuckled bitterly. "You have to be kidding me. You two messed up and tied me with a complete stranger and now you're telling me I was supposed to be dead if not for that stupid red string?" Dara stood up and stared at Bom directly in the eyes.

"Then, you should have untied us sooner and let my life be taken! Do you think I'm afraid to die? Why did you have to prolong it? Why did you wait until I became part of Jiyong's life?" Dara furiously wiped the tears that were streaming down her cheeks while taking a deep breath. "You two are so cruel", she muttered with disdain. "If you knew this would happen, then you should've just tied me with someone else."