KNOT 11 - OLD SOULS

SANDARA's POV

I'll admit, I'm not particulary happy with working on the same company as...potato head.

*Sigh*

Does that make me a bad person? It's just that...I don't know, she's so perfect and she seemed to be very familiar with Jiyong which doesn't really sit well with me (oh my gosh, am I really saying this? ). Having her around is really awkward. When Jiyong and I went out with her, it makes me feel like I'm not part of the equation...that I'm just a nuisance.

Of course, that might just be my pathetic self talking. Or I might be right, Park Min Young hates my guts. Or maybe...maybe she secretly envies me? Yes that's right, and pigs can fly!

I..am..so..pathetic..HELP.ME.

I know my confidence needs all the boosting it can get by the time we enter the company. Unfortunately for me, we will be coming to work soon. Let me rephrase it - he will be coming to work and I will be beside him, blinking my eyes innocently while pretending not to be stupid. Urgh.

"Are you still thinking about the drama you watched last night? I told you stop watching anything with Lee Minho in it. He's crappy", Jiyong said without glancing at me, busily typing on his laptop.

"He is so NOT crappy!", I shrieked. OMG, is he crazy? How can he utter such words about my Lee Minho?

He stopped typing and boredly looked at me. "Crappy."

"He's perfect", I shot back.

"I bet he has more fangays than fangirls."

"That's not true!"

"And don't even get me started with the permed hair."

"Kwon Jiyong!"

I clenched my fists and glared at him. I so want to rip his neck off right now for criticizing my fave actor. His hairstyle in Boys Over Flowers may not be the best (and I seriously want to kill his stylist, URGH!) but I still love Lee Minho. And this cyborg is ruining him, the nerve! In the end, I just slumped on my seat and remained silent. This guy, with a bunch of tattoos on his arm and eternal poker face, will not understand how amazingly cute and adorable Lee Minho is. Seriously, if I see Lee Minho on the street and he say 'hello' to me, I'm ready to abandon my mortal body. Even with the permed hair. He is cute, PERIOD.

"Are you going to class or what? Our KwonDara legion is waiting", Jiyong said in a flat tone. I grudgingly stood up and followed him in the bedroom to prepare my things.

"You're still thinking about his permed hair, aren't you?"

"Stop it", I sternly said. Why is he bursting my happy bubble? My mood is already half-ruined because we have to work with 'potato head'. If he shatters the image I have of Lee Minho, I will lead a very lonely life.

Jiyong picked up the strawberry backpack while I grab his hooded sweater. After he finished stuffing everything inside the bag, I handed him his hoodie and he started wearing it while staring at my sour expression.

"You're pissed?", he asked as I fix the creases on his clothes, not meeting his eyes.

"Why do you like that guy anyway?"

"Because he's cute", I mumbled, at lost for anything to say.

"Oh? But I'm cuter"

I rolled my eyes at him and snatched the strawberry backpack from his hand. I really don't need to hear any more of his funky remarks. I might scratch his eyeballs out if he doesn't stop.

"Almost paradiseeee....", he sang and I had to firmly close my eyes for a moment to stop myself from pulling his hair.

"I changed my mind, I don't want to work in your father's company anymore", I firmly said and crossed my arms. If he's going to be childish about my love for Lee Minho, then I'll do the same.

I was expecting another sarcastic comment from him. Or just another deadpan expression and arching of eyebrows. None of those happened.

SUD-DEN-LY, he stared at me with gooey eyes and twitched his lips upside down. OH MY GOSHHHHHH!!! I DIED. I swear, he is just the cutest thing ever when he did that!

"That's not going to work", I firmly said even though I badly wanted to squeal and attach myself to him. He then grabbed the hem of my blouse and started pulling it incessantly like a kid! OMG, please stop with the cuteness! My life! MY PRECIOUS LIFE!!! GAAAHHH!!

"You won't be able convince me with th-"

"Meow?"

KYAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

_____________________________________________________________

== FLASHBACK ==

"Hadana, they can't be tied forever"

As Seunghyun said those words, they heard the sound of chime bells and the sound of a gong, indicating that they're being called in the Sky Palace by their ascendants. Both of them quickly used their orbs to answer the summons.

Yang Goon and Jae Sang were talking in hushed tones when the two arrived. They bowed their heads at their ascendants and waited for them to speak.

"There is something that you need to know", Ascendant Yang Goon started. The hadana clasped the side of her dress nervously while her gaze is still glued to the floor.

"Kwon Jiyong and Sandara Park's souls are the souls of Heloise and Abelard...", Yang Goon started. Both Seunghyun and Bom lifted their heads in surprise at the mention of those names.

"...and Dara's soul is going to be in the hand of Jang Hyuk after two full moons", Jae Sang said.

Yang Goon stepped forward and clasped his hands behind him, his eyes darting between the hadana and the jursa. "Jang Hyuk is supposed to gather her soul after one full moon but I was able to bargain for another full moon so that Sandara Park will have enough time to take care of any unfinished business she has. This is the least that we could do for her"

He then placed his hands on Bom and Seunghyun's shoulders, startling the two. "In this regard, I need to enforce the second option soon, at the next full moon...and the second option involves both of you"

== ==

His forehead was creased while deeply pondering about their conversation with their ascendants when the bus arrived. Seunghyun got in and was surprised to see Bom sitting inside, her head hanging low. He sat beside her without uttering a word, his head filled with a lot of troubling thoughts. He wanted to ease his mind which is why he rode the human transportation but the Hadana seems to be there for an entirely different reason.

"Why didn't you just use your ethereal orb to teleport?", he asked after a while.

Instead of answering, Bom formed a white glittery ethereal orb on her palm and gently threw it up. The orb exploded and the air was filled with little sparkles which only the deities can see. The other hadanas and jursas who were following the destined couples assigned to them stopped for a while and marveled the beautiful sight.

"What does it mean to be human?", she asked.

"I don't know hadana", Seunghyun sighed and stared outside the window. "I've never been one before."

_____________________________________________________________

SANDARA's POV

Jiyong's fangirl team is multiplying. AND THEY ARE ANNOYING.

Tsch.

I don't know when they formed a legion to battle our *cough* KwonDara minions *cough* but hell, there's a lot of them! And what's with their outfit? Are they trying to seduce Jiyong by wearing almost nothing? Whoah. They might as well be carrying neon signs that says slu-..okay fine, I'm not going there. Sluts. Hmph. I went there.

I'm sorry but I won't risk my life wearing those tiny garments in fear of exposing parts of my body that should not catch air in public.

As we were walking on the university pathway towards the college building, my eyebrows automatically arched up when I saw a new set of fangirls giggling and nudging each other, obviously checking out Jiyong. With his stunning looks, mysterious air and cold demeanor, these kinds of reaction is to be expected. I wouldn't be surprised if someone has already set up a 'Jiyong Spotting Channel' in youtube.

I glanced at Jiyong and studied him for a while. His eyes are focused forward and he didn't even cast a single glance to anyone, even though some of the girls are practically killing themselves strutting their bodies to get his attention.

I'm still curious as to why he's so indifferent to people, even to his own father. Another thing I'm curious about is why he's not fond of calling people by their names.

"Why are you staring?", he suddenly asked without glancing at me.

"Because you're cute?", I jokingly replied. He looked at me with a bored expression and continued walking.

The girls crowding the entrance of the college building are obviously waiting for Jiyong. I darted my eyes around and realized that our KwonDara minions lurking in the entrace are outnumbered by a huge margin. Bah! This can't be happening.

"Hubby...CLING!", I exclaimed and clung to him.

"Don't call me hubby", he flatly said and wiggled free from my grasp.

"HUBBY! CLING!"

"Stop it, you'll be late for class"

Look at this cyborg. This morning he was acting all cute and now, he's back to his usual mechanical self. I still don't get the quantum physics behind his mood swings.

My professional analysis of Jiyong's behavior was halted when suddenly, a lowerclassman blocked my path.

"H-Hello Dara sunbaenim", he greeted, scratching the back of his head while holding a gift with his other hand.

"Oh, hi. You're Y-..OUCH! Jiyong!", I yelled at him but he just briskly walked in a faster pace, dragging me with him because of the stupid red cord.

I ran towards him and questioningly looked at his grim expression. "What was that for? I was talking with a junior clas-"

"Cling", he nonchalantly said with an impassive face and offered his arm. I suspiciously looked at his arm and stared at him.

"Cling", he repeated, furrowing his eyebrows impatiently.

I clung to his arm and beamed at the rejoicing KwonDara minions around us, waving my other hand goofily at them as we entered the college building.

"You're jealous, aren't you?", I tauntingly asked. He gave me a bored look again as we stopped in front of my school locker to get some of my stuff.

"I just dragged you out of there because you're obviously going to take a long time chatting", he flatly said. "Besides, you're not my type"

"Reallyyyyy? Then who's your type?", I placed some of my books in the strawberry bag and handed it back to him. He draped it on his shoulders while still pondering about my question.

"Hmmm..."

"See? You're just making excuses. You can't even answer that question", I triumphantly beamed at him.

"KISS!! KISS!!! KISS!!", the KwonDara minions chanted while clapping their hands.

"Should we? On the cheek?"

Jiyong rolled his eyes at me and flicked my forehead, "Stop it."

I playfully puckered my lips and tried to kiss him but he reclined back, away from my reach.

"AAahhhh!! Jiyong! ~ ~"

He sighed exasperatedly and eventually leaned down, letting me kiss him on the cheek. I gave him a quick peck and hurriedly covered my face while giggling giddily. Chaos erupted in the hallway at our fanservice and I chuckled at the enthusiastic cheers while waving at our 'fans'.

"This is fun!", I exclaimed.

"No, it's not. Good thing you're about to graduate. This whole KwonDara madness is driving me insane"

"Just admit that you're jealous earlier", I pressed on as we proceeded to my classroom.

"I told you, you're not my type"

"Then tell me, who's your type?"

"If I answer that question, you'll be throwing tantrums again"

"No, I won't! Tell me", I insisted.

"Someone like potato head"

My steps came to a screeching halt when I felt a tightening in my chest. I don't know why but what he said stung a bit. I mean, I'm just fooling around that's why I'm teasing him but why does it feels like it's coming back to bite my ass?

"Anything wrong?", his voice woke me up from my trance and I immediately smiled at him.

"Nothing", I answered. "I guess you don't mind naming your kids after decepticons, huh?", I playfully nudged him and walked ahead. Oddly, the smile that is plastered on my lips immediately wavered as soon as I turned my back at him. Strange.

_____________________________________________________________

Whatever the professor is discussing is not registering in Dara's brain. All she can think of is what Jiyong said a while ago. She must've looked pathetic doing all those mushy things to him when his ideal type is...someone like potato head. URGH! But in her defense, she just feels really comfortable around him. Calling him hubby, clinging to him and being all crazy in front of Jiyong doesn't feel weird and embarrassing.

With her former boyfriend, Dara always do what Joo Won expects her to do or whatever Joo Won likes, in fear of losing him. But with Jiyong, things are different. He may have a sharp tongue and he can leave anyone bloody with his snide remarks but despite his cold exterior, he is very warm and caring....AND HIS IDEAL TYPE IS SOMEONE LIKE POTATO HEAD WHAT A MORON!!! Dara sighed heavily and almost jerked back when Jiyong, who was sitting behind her, suddenly whispered on her ear.

"Pay attention to your class", he said.

Dara twitched her lips in annoyance and furiously scribbled on her notebook. She was still busily filling the page with doodles when her phone beeped. Her eyes widened when she saw that it was from Joo Won.

Dara, I'm really sorry. It was really stupid of me to let you go. Can we meet for a while and talk? I'm at our secret place now. Please, baby?

Dara covered her mouth in surprise. Their secret place is the fire exit staircase of the university and Joo Won is currently waiting for her there. He still remembers her class schedule.

Despite what he has done to her, she felt compelled to meet him. Old habits die hard. Dara began drumming her fingers on her desk and continuously checked the clock. Even though it's just a few seconds away from end of class, she doesn't want to make him wait just like before. Unknown to her, Jiyong was watching her every action from behind. He darted his eyes at the clock and stared back at Dara who seemed to be impatiently waiting for something. When the bell rang, she immediately gathered her things and bolted out of her seat, not bothering to stuff her things inside her backpack.

"Hey", Jiyong called out. "What's the rush?"

"H-Huh? Oh, Joo Won wants to talk to me. He's waiting. Let's go", she said and tugged the red cord, urging Jiyong to walk faster.

"Who?", Jiyong furrowed his eyebrows, not liking what he's hearing. It better not be that punk who was Dara's ex-boyfriend.

"Joo Won. My...uhm...ex-boyfriend"

He abruptly stopped walking and glared at her. "And you're meeting that ba$tard because?"

"Because he wants to talk to me. Come on, he's waiting"

"Did you forget what that guy did to you?", his voice was rising because of annoyance and Dara flinched a bit upon seeing his irritated face.

"Jiyong, please. Just this once. I want to hear him out"

Silence passed between them as they both stared at each other. Sighing heavily, Jiyong finally nodded and followed Dara towards the fire exit staircase.

"Hide at the corner of the stair while I meet Joo Won. He won't be able to see you if you sit on one of the steps", she instructed.

"You better set that guy straight, alright? If he tries to do anything stupid, I swear he'll be rolling down the damn stair", Jiyong warned her.

==

"Dara", Joo Won's voice came out almost in a whisper upon seeing her.

'Oh please. What's with the dramatic voice?', Jiyong thought while sitting in the corner away from Joo Won's line of vision, unconsciously cracking his knuckles in annoyance.

"Why did you call me out?", Dara firmly asked.

"I just want to apologize to you. I really miss you, Dara. I miss us", Joo won bridged the distance between them and wrapped his arms around Dara, entrapping her in a tight embrace.

"Joo Won", Dara tried to push him but he wouldn't budge. His breathing was ragged and it seems he really is going through something. Her heart sank seeing the current state of the man she once loved.

"I miss you, baby. Can't we start over?", he pleaded.

'Baby?!', Jiyong instantly stood up upon hearing Joo Won calling Dara with that cheesy term of endearment. His jaws clenched and his eyes turned to slits when he saw Joo Won hugging her.

"I still have a meeting. Let's go", Jiyong coldly said, his face devoid of emotions.

Joo Won frowned at the familiar face. Why is this guy always with Dara?

"Baby, who's this guy?"

"Uh...", Dara stepped away from Joo Won and darted her eyes interchangeably between Joo Won and Jiyong.

"Baby?", Joo Won pressed on.

"I'm someone she calls 'hubby'", Jiyong flatly said and tugged the cord, dragging Dara with him and ignoring Joo Won's calls.

As soon as they exited the door and returned back to the hallway, Jiyong spun around and faced her.

"What the hell was that?!", he furiously yelled.

"Wha-"

"Why did you let him hug you?"

"He's-"

"Didn't you already break up with that punk?"

"But-"

"Are you still not over him?"

"I'm-"

"Do you still like him?"

"Kwon Jiyong! What's wrong with you?", Dara huffed while frowning at Jiyong.

"You're doing this because I told you that my type is someone like potato head, aren't you?"

"What? Of course not!"

"THEN WHY DID YOU LET HIM HUG YOU?!", Jiyong yelled, unable to stop himself.

"Calm down, will you?", Dara gently said as she stepped forward and tenderly rubbed his back to soothe his anger.

Jiyong exhaled furiously and tried to even out his breathing even though calming himself is proving to be a big challenge. "I'm sorry. It's just...your ex-boyfr-...that guy is an eyesore!", he exclaimed. "And...And he's taking advantage of you", he added.

Dara stared at him and to his surprise, she began giggling with amusement. "Hubby, you're so cute when you're jealous!", she shrieked.

"I'm not jealous", Jiyong shot back and started walking away, with Dara merrily hopping behind him.

"I'm someone she calls 'hubby'", Dara mimicked in a low voice.

"Shut up", Jiyong irritably said.

_____________________________________________________________

CL's POV

Oh my gosh, I feel stupid.

Hiding behind a wall while inconspicuously following Dara and Jiyong around is certainly not my idea of fun. This is not how I'm supposed to spend my day but since my classes have been canceled and since I've always been wondering about Dara and Jiyong's relationship, I decided to trail them. I just find it odd that the two have never been apart since that night when Dara moved out of our room. And she seemed to hesitate doing anything without consulting Jiyong first. I mean, the Dara I know will almost kill herself just to help anyone but she hesitated in doing the Senior's Farewell Festival with me!

The two were walking on the streets and I was doing a good job in making myself invisible when suddenly, someone blocked my path.

"HELLO!", he greeted in a very loud voice, making me yelp in surprise. The guy was wearing a hotdog costume and was giving out flyers. I hastily grabbed the flyer and was about to step out of his way when he blocked my path again.

"HELLO!"

OMG. Is he crazy? This hotdog is getting pretty annoying. Dara and Jiyong is already far so I have to hasten up.

"Excuse me", I mumbled and sidestepped him but he blocked my path again! ARGH!

"Why are you following them?", he asked while smiling, the kind of smile that makes people want to call the cops.

"Can you please let me pass?"

"I know both of them! Why are you following them? Are you Dara noona's friend?"

I stretched my neck to check if the two has already gone far but unfortunately, I can't see them anymore. Great. This damn hotdog man ruined everything.

"Are you from the same school as Dara noona? Huh? Huh?", he pressed on.

OMG, my ears. Is he always this loud? I looked at his costume from head to toe and grimaced. He looks like a vagina.

"My name is Seungri! I'm Jiyong hyung's bandmate! Do you want to come to one of our gigs? I'm pretty good, you know"

Wow. I'm sensing a strong 'idiot' presence oozing from this guy. Annoying.

"What's your name? Do you live around here? Or perhaps in the university dorm? Can I have your number?"

"You look like a vagina. I don't trust a man who looks like a vagina", I grumpily said and left him.

_____________________________________________________________

"The situation is really bad, Mr. Kwon. The stocks of your father's company dropped drastically"

Hearing the bad news, Jiyong sighed and slumped on the chair. Meanwhile, sitting on a separate table alone behind him is Dara, sipping her drink quietly while eavesdropping at Jiyong's meeting. That was always their setup whenever Jiyong is in a client meeting - with Dara sitting on a chair behind Jiyong's chair or occupying a table opposite to his.

When his clients left, Dara sat beside Jiyong and glanced at him.

"Ah, I'm going crazy", Jiyong shook his head in exasperation while massaging his nape. He wanted to ignore everything that's happening to his father but seeing his old man in such a situation, he just can't turn a blind eye.

Without uttering a word, Dara lightly patted and rubbed his back to calm him, her eyes mirroring her worries.

"I don't know how it suddenly turned into the worse possible scenario. What is he doing? Didn't he...", on and on Jiyong vented his anger while Dara listens attentively, occasionally rubbing his arm to soothe him.

No matter what kind of predicament comes his way, Jiyong is not the type to share it with anyone. He is not much of a talker in the first place. Even when his mother left him to his father, he kept everything in. Surprisingly, unloading his frustrations to Dara feels very...normal. With other people, he chooses his words carefully since he doesn't want anything to do with them but with her, it just flows naturally.

Jiyong audibly sighed after unloading his complaints and stared at Dara. "This is so tiring", he mumbled.

"Everything's going to be alright", Dara gently said and to Jiyong's surprise, Dara leaned forward and hugged him. He blinked in shocked and roamed his eyes at the people in the restaurant who are now staring at them. He doesn't know exactly why the hell Dara is squeezing the life out of him (in a public place) but he's guessing it's to make him feel better after his outburst. Afterall, she is a cheeseball.

"Uh...I'm okay now", he muttered and tried to pry Dara's arms away but she whined in protest.

"Hey", he tapped her shoulder and tilted his head to look at her.

"Mmmhhmmm?"

"People are staring"

"Mmmmmhhhhmmm?", she playfully mumbled, ignoring what he said.

"You're embarrassing me, cheeseball", he whispered.

"Just bear with it for a while", she replied and tightened her hug, not minding the curious stares they are getting. "I'm trying to absorb your stress", she said and giggled, burying her face on his shoulder.

"Cheeseball", Jiyong remarked as he wrapped his arms around her, the corner of his lips tugging in a smile. "You really have a crush on me, don't you?"

"No way. Besides, I'm not your type, remember?", she teasingly said.

"Yeah, you're not", Jiyong replied, earning him a light pinch on the arm from Dara.

Bom clutched Seunghyun's sleeve while staring at the destined couple, her eyes full of sadness.

"Is she really going to die?", she asked.

"Yes", the jursa replied.

_____________________________________________________________

SANDARA's POV

LEE MINHOOOO!!!

I tightly hugged the pillow and wiggled giddily on the bed, uncaring of the cyborg beside me. Tomorrow is our first day of work which is the reason why I loaded myself with all the positive 'Lee Minho energy' that I could gather. I watched his dramas until midnight while Jiyong quietly sat beside me, working on something in his laptop.

Having to work in Mr. Lee Soo Man's company really bothers me. Even though I know that I'm capable enough to be Jiyong's assistant, I can't help but worry that I might do something wrong. Plus, potato head is there together with her potato squadron - those beautiful looking ladies with long legs in the reception area. Intimidation overload. Sad to say, my miu miu power is limited so I sought inner calm with the help of my superhero, Lee Minho.

With a smile on my face, I glanced at Jiyong's sleeping form. Things between Jiyong and I have become really comfortable that I sometimes forget we have a pressing problem at hand. We've been tied together for so long that we can now easily move as a pair. Sleeping in the same bed, eating, using the bathroom, doing mundane tasks...the things that even wedded couples do individually, we do together as one. It's as if he's the other half of me. Weird, I know. But so is our situation.

I rolled over and stared at Jiyong's back. Feeling energetic despite the unholy hour, I decided to disturb him.

"Jiyong, Jiyong", I whispered, poking his shoulder.

"Mmmhhhmmm?"

"Are you sleeping?"

"Yes", he lazily replied.

"Wake up"

"Why?"

"Talk to me"

Jiyong placed the pillow over his head, completely ignoring me.

"Jiyong, Jiyong", I whispered again.

"Go to sleep", he mumbled.

"Kyah!", I shrieked and attached myself to his back.

"Be quiet"

"Kyah!", I playfully pressed my cheek on his back and rested my leg over his thigh.

Jiyong sighed deeply before rolling over to face me. "Why are you so energetic?", he asked while pinching my nose. I beamed at him and brushed his hair away from his face with my fingers.

"Lee Minho", I simply said.

He scrunched his nose, feigning disgust. "That guy looks so lame. If he walks in the shady areas around Hongdae, he will be beaten to a pulp"

Here he goes again with his unreasonable hate for Minho.

"So, you woke me up because you want to talk about that guy?"

"No, I just want to talk to you. Don't worry, I'll be quiet now. I'll remain silent tomorrow too so I won't embarrass you", I dejectedly said.

"Nah. I would prefer that you would throw tantrums", he lazily mumbled and yawned, closing his eyes and comfortably resting his head on the fluffy pillow.

"Awww, my hubby is so sweet"

"Stop calling me hubby", he said and turned his back at me again.

Left with nothing to do, I sat up and pulled the book lying on the bedside table.

'The Old Man in the Moonlight'?

I lazily opened the book and began reading. As expected, the first few paragraphs had me yawning. It tells the story of a man in the Tang Dynasty, named Wei Gu, who was to be introduced to his prospective wife. Blah blah blah. No wonder this book is seldom borrowed from the library, it's boring!

Still, I continued to read since who knew, this book might hold the magic words. However, at each passing sentence, the creases in my forehead began multiplying. I felt my heart pounding crazily inside my chest as I caught sight of the phrase 'red cord'.

According to the book, Wei Gu arrived in the temple before dawn and saw an old man sitting in the moonlight with a mysterious bag and a book. He asked the old man what those things were. The old man replied that the book is a register and the bag contains red cords that he used to tie the destined couples together.
(source: http://history.cultu...istory2937.html )

Red cord to tie the destined couples together?

I rapidly raised my left arm and looked in astonishment at the red cord binding me to Jiyong. It can't be...no way...no freaking way!!! I mean...with Jiyong?! Seriously? His heart is made of metal! How can I be destined to him?

Wait, I'm getting emotional because of this book. Hah! It's a fairy tale book written to annoy the living crap out of me, that's what it is. I furiously scanned the pages and when I get to the last part, I read it out loud with disdain.

"The Old Man in the Moonlight is now widely known as the lunar matchmaker god"

Righhhhtttt. So that means Jiyong and I were bounded by the red string of fate by the lunar matchmaker god...WHATEVER! Who will believe this bullcrap? How can there be such a thing as red string of-

And yet, here I am tied to this guy with a red cord. Plus, we saw two mythical beings who said they are deities. But, if this is the red string of fate, how come it doesn't stretch and it literally binded us together?

"Why are you still awake? It's our first day of work tomorrow", Jiyong drowsily said, pulling me to lie on the bed.

On the bed....next to him. Why do I find this setup very disturbing now? That stupid story about 'The Old Man in the Moonlight' tying red strings to the 'destined couple' is really messing up my brain.

Still not able to sleep, I scooted at the edge of the bed, as far away as possible from Jiyong. I'm not affected by that book, I swear. It's just that the edge of the bed is really inviting and the view is nice from here and....who am I kidding? WHAT AM I GOING TO DO, I'M HAVING WEIRD THOUGHTS FOR JIYONG HELP MEEEE!!!

As if my inner conflicts is not magnificent enough to torture my battered brain, Jiyong sluggishly encircled his arm on my waist and pulled me closer to him. EYAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGHHHH!!!!

"You might fall", he said and went back to sleep, his arm still wrapped around me.

I stared at his face, still thinking about what I just read.

You might fall...

That sounded so wrong.

_____________________________________________________________

"Old friend, stop worrying about things that might not be of importance in the future", Jae Sang advised, seeing that Yang Goon is again lost in deep thoughts while staring outside the Sky Palace.

"Their love is so tragic", Yang Goon said. He turned around and faced Jae Sang, his forehead creased with remorse. "I tied the red string to Heloise and Abelard even though I knew that they will have a terrible end. I do not wish for it to happen again but history is repeating itself. The souls of Heloise and Abelard in Sandara Park and Kwon Jiyong's body will face the same tragic end"

The love story of Heloise and Abelard is considered as one of the most tragic love stories in history. The 19-year-old Heloise is the niece of Notre Dame's Canon Fulbert. Abelard is Heloise's private tutor and is twenty years her senior. Soon afterwards, the two can no longer resist the attraction they have for each other and Heloise bore Abelard's child. Their love is forbidden in their time and fate dictates that they should be separated. They were separated by Heloise's uncle and Abelard was given a shameful punishment, his body part which caused them sorrow was cut. In addition, Heloise also has to give up their child.

Inspite of their separation, the two lovers continued their correspondence for twenty years, writing love letters to each other. Although physically apart, the two continued their love through their writings, which up to this day is celebrated as one of the greatest literary works. They were briefly reunited in a ceremony in Paris, wherein they realize that the reason for their existence is their love for one another. They pledged 'Forever One' to one another. After that brief meeting, they never met again. Yet their love continued through their letters.
(source: http://classiclit.ab.../aa_abelard.htm and http://www.abelardan....com/Story.html)

"Theirs is a love story that has transcended time. Centuries after their deaths, their love letters are still speaking to today's generation and has been regarded as one of the treasured literary works", Jaesang remarked. "Ironic isn't it? Heloise and Abelard spent their life in separation while Sandara Park and Kwon Jiyong are physically tied to each other"

"Abelard should not have been the guy for Heloise. But since I knew that their love will match, I still tied them despite the fact that their love will be full of sorrow", Yang Goon mournfully said and darted his eyes at his tattered bag containing the red strings of fate. "Kwon Jiyong should not have been tied to Sandara Park. He is not the guy for her. He was never the guy for her...because their end is tragic."

"Their love might be full of sorrow, but it is still love. Fate is giving them a chance", Jae Sang remarked. "Heloise and Abelard was indestructible despite their physical separation. Aren't you curious how Sandara Park and Kwon Jiyong will fight for their love this time?"

Yang Goon sighed and shook his head dejectedly. "The time to enforce the second option is nearing..."

_____________________________________________________________

"You're staring at me again", Jiyong arched his eyebrows at Dara while fixing his suit.

"H-Huh?"

"What's happening to you? Hmmmmm...", he brushed the loose strands of hair away from her face and locked his gaze with her.

"Uhmm...", Dara cleared her throat while averting her eyes. Oddly, she can't look straight at Jiyong after reading that stupid 'The Old Man in the Moonlight' book.

"I was just thinking, maybe we can help CL with the Senior's Farewell Festival. I checked our schedule and we can still squeeze it in", she finally said.

"Okay. Hey, are you alright?", he cupped her cheeks and frowned at her blushing face. "What's up with you?"

"N-Nothing", she hastily took a step back and pretended to look at anything within her reach.

Jiyong stepped forward and leaned down, his face close to Dara's. "Mmmhhhhmm... I know you have a crush on me, but I didn't know it's this bad", he said in a serious tone.

"I DON'T HAVE A CRUSH ON YOU!", Dara shrieked and threatened to hit him with her bag. "How conceited!", she huffed.

"Okay", he straightened up and pulled a tie from his closet. "Help me with my necktie".

Dara hesitantly grabbed the necktie and looked at him.

"What?", he asked.

"Nothing", she said and wrapped it on his neck, hurriedly trying to tie it while putting a conscious effort not to look at his face.

"Seriously, what's wrong?", she heard him ask but she did not respond, putting her full concentration on tying the necktie.

"Hey", Jiyong tilted his head and forced her to look at him. "Just tell me if you don't want to do this. If you're uncomfortable on going to work, then let's not go"

Dara bit her lips and finally met his gaze, her eyebrows mashed together in guilt. "No, it's fine. I'm sorry, I'm just not myself this morning"

"Why? What's bothering you?"

She inconspicuously glanced at the red string binding them and pondered for a while. Now is not the time to be thinking about that book. She needs to get her act together and concentrate on her work today. Later, when everything's settled, she'll try to find out anything about 'The Old Man in the Moonlight' or the lunar matchmaker god.

She breathed deeply and smiled at Jiyong. "You look so handsome in a suit, that's what's bothering me", she jokingly said.

Jiyong's expression did not even change as he observed Dara. He then sighed and shoved his hands inside his pockets.

"I will be beside you throughout the day so you don't have to worry about your first day of work. We're tied together, remember?"

"Okay. But really, this suit looks good on you. My hubby is so handsome!", Dara exclaimed and beamed at him.

"Better than Lee Minho?", Jiyong asked.

"Oh...Uhmmm"

"Traitor", Jiyong scowled at her and lightly flicked her forehead.

"Kekekekeke!"

"Ready?", he unzipped the strawberry backpack, checking if Dara got everything inside.

"Yep!"

Jiyong fixed the collar of Dara's blouse and stared directly at her.

"Miu Miu?", he asked.

"Meep meep!", Dara replied enthusiastically.

_____________________________________________________________

"This is the first time that you're going to enforce the second option. Are you sure you want to do this? Our ancient law dictates that when the red string of fate behaves in an unexpected way, there are two ways to fix the situation. The first option is to let the destined couple's feelings connect. If their feelings are finally connected, the red string will go back to its form. Why don't we just wait for that?", Jae Sang asked.

"Even if their feelings are connected, the red string will not go back to its original form...", Yang Goon faced Jae Sang with a grim face and continued, "...because I was not the one who tied the red string to Sandara Park and Kwon Jiyong"

Jae Sang fell silent as he stared at the lunar matchmaker god. "I don't want another tragedy like what their old souls, Heloise and Abelard, have gone through that is why I did not tie them together...even if they are indeed a destined couple. Am I wrong to show compassion to these two poor souls?", Yang Goon turned around, his eyes full of sorrow. "Did my compassion to avoid a tragic love bring about yet another tragedy?"

"You cannot avoid a storm by refusing to see the dark clouds, my friend", Jae Sang mumbled.

"Indeed", Yang Goon sighed and stared directly at the trickster god. "Since it has already come to this, I must do what is necessary. When the time is ripe, I will enforce the second option and untie the red string of fate between Sandara Park and Kwon Jiyong"

The second option dictates that to be able for the lunar matchmaker god to untie the red string, the hadana and jursa assigned to the destined couple should temporarily give up their immortality and take human forms.

The ethereal orbs of the hadana and jursa are fused in the red string, guarding it and making it unbreakable. If both of them temporarily give up their immortality, the ethereal orbs surrounding the string will vanish and this is the time when the lunar matchmaker god will be able to untie it. Unfortunately, the hadana and jursa will be mortals for one full moon before they become deities again. Which means, they will both take human forms for an entire month after the red string is untied.

"There is no other choice. Hadana Bom and Jursa Seunghyun will be temporary earth dwellers", Yang Goon remarked while looking away. "It pains me that our hadana and jursa will both be endangered because of the second option. Being a mortal is going to be a big challenge for the two. It seems I'm putting them directly into the fire"

Jae Sang placed one hand on Yang Goon's shoulder, making him turn to him. "If you stand straight, do not fear a crooked shadow", he said and smiled at him. "That's what I tell myself most of the time. If you know what you're doing is right, there is no need to be afraid of anything. There is no need to fear of what it looks like"

Yang Goon chuckled after hearing the Chinese proverb coming from Old Man Coyote himself. "That only applies to you, since you're the one who mostly does mischievous things."

"Sometimes, misfortunes can turn into something fun", Jae Sang responded. "And I think, this experience is significant for Hadana Bom and Jursa Seunghyun...and Sandara Park and Kwon Jiyong"

Writer's Note:

So that's the second option ^_^

Okay, recap!!

Yang Goon and Jang Hyuk (the ruler of the underworld) agreed that Dara's soul will be taken after two full moons (almost two months since one full moon = 29 days). Yang Goon reminded Jang Hyuk that even if the red string is removed before two full moons, Jang Hyuk will not get the soul and wait until two full moons.

It turns out Yang Goon plans to untie the red string after one full moon (after almost one month). Which means Dara and Jiyong will be free from each other for another full moon (almost one month). As he explained, he bargained for another full moon to Jang Hyuk so Dara can do any unfinished business. As he said in this chapter:

"Jang Hyuk is supposed to gather her soul after one full moon but I was able to bargain for another full moon so that Sandara Park will have enough time to take care of any unfinished business she has. This is the least that we could do for her"

Anywayyyy, the second option is that the lunar matchmaker god will untie the knot after the hadana and jursa assigned to the destined couple temporarily gives up their immortality. They will take human forms for an entire month before they can go back to being deities.

Cheers!

huntress ^_^