Chapter 24: Dancing and Danger

The week passed without anything going wrong. Well, actually, I didn't sleep, but that was starting to be the norm. I spent less and less time with Annabeth so she wouldn't notice how tired and out of it I was. Because I knew that once she dragged me to her house, I wouldn't be able to stay awake.

Whenever I was at my job, I would keep a constant lookout for anyone suspicious. I no longer overlooked a new customer when they walked in.

The weekend hit, and I spent it in my room, where I was huddled against my safe spot. I heard my phone buzz, but I knew it was Annabeth trying to get me to meet with her. I had texted her saying I was in bed sleeping, so she wouldn't worry if I didn't text back. Honestly, it was a lousy excuse but it kind of worked. There was no worried and angry Annabeth looking at me through the window.

Though every few seconds, I would check to make sure.

Sunday passed into darkness, and I was aware of the growling of my stomach. I really needed to go to that party. Stock up on some sandwiches for the week. I took a deep breath as I stood from my safe place.

My instincts and signals went off in my brain as I walked towards my window. I sucked in a breath as fear and anticipation gripped me like a vise. I struggled to breathe as my heart rate picked up.

I looked over my shoulder as I exited my room through the window. Then as soon as I could, I ran—full speed down streets and blocks. Crossing and running, I made it to the party in record time. I walked in, being assaulted by familiar party smells, and went straight to the refreshment table.

Grabbing a few sandwiches and chips, I walked to the hiding place I found a few weeks ago when I helped Annabeth take her drunk friends to her car. Sitting down, I munched hungrily on the sandwich. Since there was a wall behind me and I had a full view of the yard, my racing heart calmed a bit, but not completely. I didn't relax as I watched teenagers kiss, dance, eat and drink.

I sat there, eating my sandwich. When I figured I'd been sitting there for long enough, I went to leave and sneak a few sandwiches when someone popped in front of me. Giving me a heart attack, I sat back down and held my chest.

"Didn't mean to scare you. I figured you'd be here" I looked up slowly and groaned internally. Annabeth.

She sat next to me and leaned into my shoulder. " What's wrong?" she asked after a few minutes.

"What do you mean?"

"You're starting to avoid me again. Did Gabe come back?" she bit her lip as she tried to meet my eyes. I looked away, ashamed.

I gulped as I heard her voice break a bit. "Um, no, Gabe's not back."

"Then what is it?"

"I can't tell you," I said simply. I really couldn't. I already had the debt collectors coming for me. I didn't need to give them a reason to hurt Annabeth.

She didn't seem happy with my answer but nodded anyway. Then she abruptly stood up as a softer song came on. She dusted herself off and stuck her hand out. I looked up at her, confused.

"Take it, Percy," I warily took her hand and felt the familiar flips of my stomach when I gripped her hand.

Then not letting go, she dragged me out of my hiding place and out where a bunch of teenagers were dancing. Oh no, no, no, no. I do not dance. I let my hand slip from her grasp, and she turned towards me.

"What's wrong, Perce?"

"I don't dance."

She grinned at me, and I was soon aware that it didn't matter if I wanted to dance or not. She grabbed my hand again and walked a bit further onto the dance floor before adjusting our hands. She placed one of my hands on her waist, which made my face heat up. Then she put her hand on my shoulder and intertwined our remaining hands. I didn't feel the redness leave my face as I felt our close proximity.