Chapter 23 - The Present

I walked into the dance studio after driving there from home. I had been back for a couple of hours and decided to get out of the house. The silence in my house was starting to freak me out again now that my dad still wasn't home. 

Lizzie was standing in the hallway, shoving a couple of papers into her bag when I approached her. 

'Kara, hi!' she said when she saw me, 'come in' she smiled, walking into the offices they had for the staff in the studio. 

I obliged, following her in and putting my phone on silent as I did. 

'So, now that you're finished with your lessons with Ryan I thought we should have a little chat' she said, sitting on the edge of her desk casually, rearranging some of the papers on the desk. 

I nodded, staying quiet and waiting for her to continue. 

'We would like to offer you a part time job here' she said, beaming at me. The corners of my mouth pulled into a excited smile. 

'Thank you!' I laughed

'So we want you to teach some of the younger girls ballet in classes twice a week, and then you can continue to come to the dance group on other days'  she said getting out some papers and passing me a pen which I took from her. 

'Now we were planning on you working wednesday evenings and saturday mornings is that okay?' she said, handing me the paper which i saw was a contract. 

'Thanks perfect!' I replied, still grinning as i signed at the bottom. 

'We've missed you for the past two weeks' she told me referring the the dance group, as she took the paper back from me and placed it away in a draw. 

'So have I' I laughed, 'Trust me', I started walking out towards the door.

'Didn't always look like it' she smirked at me, laughing slightly at me as she stood up from the desk. 

'What do you mean?' I said, furrowing me eyebrows at her and stopping at the door.

'I mean, I saw you guys a couple of times, and you didn't look like just friends to me' she shrugged. 

'Why does everyone say that!' I groaned, letting my shoulders droop as I rolled my eyes. She looked at me for a second with her eyebrows raised, as if she was saying to me Oh come on.

'I'll see you on wednesday, 4pm' she informed me, walking back and sitting at her desk as she looked at a few more papers.

--------------------------

The next day at school went quite abnormally quickly. Sarah had hassled me a couple of times about my 'date', which is what she liked to call it, with Ryan. 

'When we go out for ice-cream or dinner is that a date?' I asked her, annoyed that she kept calling it that. 

'No' she replied quickly, 'But-'

'But nothing' I snapped at her, pulling my messy hair into a high pony tail as I attempted to end the conversation. 

'You are clueless' she scoffed at me, rolling her eyes as she grabbed a couple of books from her locker and made her way to her class without another word.

I felt as if Sarah was getting irritated and annoyed with me, but then again it was only when we spoke about Ryan. Every conversation i had with her about him ended with her sighing and walking off in a grump and ignoring me for a while. 

When i asked her later in the day why she was getting so angry at me she just sighed her shook her head  at me again before saying 'You just shrug everything off'