Chapter 3 - Charming

The next day at school was like any other normal monday. 

I drove myself in at 8 in the morning, headed to my locker to grab some books and, somehow made it through my first 4 lessons. This did include, however, sleeping for half an hour during my English lesson with my oblivious teacher. 

Sarah and I headed to lunch together straight after fourth lesson, and sat at our usual table.

'And then she said, "Sarah, if you don't do this work by friday, I will have to give you detention for the rest of the year". What does that even mean?' Said Sarah, hardly stopping for breath whilst i scrolled through twitter on my phone, half listening, half completely zoned out.

'Who even gives a seventeen year old detention these days anyway?' She asked again. I assumed this was a rhetorical question and ignored it. 

'For god sake Kara, this is like talking to a wall' She said, clicking her fingers in front of me face. 

This had become a habit of Sarah's recently.

'Excuse me, i am not a dog.' i muttered, but soon got distracted as i saw Nicholas enter the lunch hall with his friends.

Each day i still had a little bit of hope that he would come and sit with us.

A little bit of hope that he was still the same Nicholas we had once known, our best friend. But of course, i was bitterly disappointed every single day. 

This was, clearly, false hope.

'Kara', Sarah whisper-shouted. 'He's walking over here'. 

My heart started the flutter uncontrollably at the sight of him walking towards our table. Had he finally realised what an ass he had been and wanted to be friends again?

As he walked over, he looked directly at Sarah, then to me.

'Hey', he said with a almost cocky smile on his face.

'Yes?' Sarah said, rudely. She didn't even make the effort to look at him and just stared at me with a look on her face that basically read 'what the actual fuck?'

'Well, i was just coming over to tell you guys I'm having a party this friday, in case you weren't busy?'

At this, i had to physically stop my mouth from dropping. 

Nicholas was inviting US somewhere.

I was used to seeing Nicholas at parties, but he had never invited me. He hadn't even ever asked if i was going to a party before, let alone invited me.

For a second i was convinced it was a joke, but when his casual, straight faced look that had replaced his cocky smile remained, I knew he wasn't.

'Okay cool', i said in a chirpy voice, 'We will see you there'.

Sarah glared at me across the table and i smiled back at her sweetly, knowing she could absolutely kill me for this later.

Don't get me wrong, Sarah wanted to go to the party. She just didn't want me to be nice to Nicholas in the mean-time. 

And with that, he was walking away without so much as a goodbye. The only expression i saw on his face was one of triumph, and his cocky smile was back again.

As he walked away, i saw Ryan glaring at me again. 

What was this boys problem? I was talking to Nicholas and then the next second I'm being glared at?

He obviously had no clue i was meant to be teaching him to ballroom dance, which still made my laugh every time i thought about it. 

Imagine the biggest douche-bag asshole player you know. 

Now imagine them dancing. Exactly. 

I noticed the same girl from the party following him closely with her tray of food as they found a place to sit down. 

'Sarah?' i asked, 'Do you know who that girl is? I have never seen her before' i said nodding my head in  her direction.

'mhm' she said, obviously uninterested by this new topic of conversation. 'Her name is Olivia'

'Oh really? So she must be new then?' i asked casually.

'Yea, just transferred, and she's already supposedly going out with Ryan Pierce. Wonder what she had to do to get him to like her so quickly' she scoffed. 

I laughed because i knew exactly what she was insinuating. 

There was no way that dickhead would give any girl the time of day, if she wasn't, lets just say 'offering herself' to him. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

That evening I made made my way to the dance studio absolutely dreading what i had to come. 

This was my first session with Ryan, and although it was only half an hour, i somehow doubted we would even get through that. 

I kept going through ideas in my mind of what to say to him when he walked in. My first instinct normally would be to be rude, except i couldn't do that this time because this was my job on the line.

I had to be civil, so i decided to act like I had no clue who he was. That was probably the only way I would be able to get through it without breaking his head off. 

I walked in to find Lizzie, writing down things on a pad of paper. When i walked in her head shot up and she smiled it me.

'Not late this time then?' she said glancing at her watch.

'Actually 10 minutes early' i said proudly, laughing with her. 

'Ryan should be here in about 5 minutes,' she said looking back down to her papers. 'You are going to love him!' she gushed.

I almost choaked on my water, but casually made it seem like a cough. What in the world would make her thing i would 'love' him. 

'He is very charming' she continued, giggling like a little girl. 

Oh god, Ryan had definitely tried it on with my dance instructor. 

'Just one of those genuinely lovely boys, you know?' she finished. 

'Mhm' i said, looking away from her so she didn't see my roll my eyes. 

I went and sat down, putting my dancing shoes on and taking off my jumper i was wearing when somebody walked through the door. 

I kept my head down, pretending i hadn't tied my shoelaces correctly as Lizzie rushed over, to what i assumed to be him. 

'Ryan, Darling!' She said. 'Come and meet your instructor for the next two weeks'

Fuck. 

I stood up slowly and turned to look at him. 

He looked straight back at me, and his smile that had obviously been there for Lizzie disappeared at the sight of me. 

He's charming all right. 

'Fuck', i saw him whisper under his breath. 

'What was that?' Lizzie said giggling, touching his arm. 

I made a mental note at that point to warn her. Lizzie was in her late 20's and was single. 

I didn't want to risk anything happening between them. 

He smiled and turned back to her and said 'Great, lets get started then' and then turned back to me. 

'Okay'. I said

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Authors Note:

Wow, he's a dick right?

If you guys are enjoying this please continue to vote/ comment and of course share with friends etc.