Chapter 24 - Irresistible

The car journey with Ryan was basically silent, apart from the silent hum on music in the background. 

IrresistibleSeeing my mum really had caught me off guard, and Ryan could tell. I knew that he wasn't saying anything because he knew I needed the car journey to calm down and compose myself. 

I was so angry that she had just walked into my home like it didn't mean a thing. I was angry that she clearly knew i was avoiding her and yet still decided to turn up. 

Could she not tell that i was ignoring her letters for a reason, and that reason was that i was completely and utterly uninterested in being in her life at all. 

When we got there, Ryan walked in, talking to a couple of the waiters. 

It seemed like he knew a couple of people there by name, this must be a restaurant he goes to a lot. 

I had only been here a couple times before, but it was really nice. It was an italian restaurant, and quite a classy one at that. 

'It's nice here' I said, looking around and smiling at the waitress as she placed the menu in front of me. 

'And she speaks' he joked, smirking at me across the table. 'Are you okay?' he asked, slightly more sincerely now. 

I smiled sadly, looking down at the menu as if i was reading all the dishes. 'I'm fine' I lied, avoiding all eye contact with him. 

He sighed, looking down at his own menu. 

After we ordered he spoke again. He acted as if he cared, and he wasn't being his normal obnoxious cocky self.

'I know you're not okay' he spoke, 'Speak to me about it'. He kept his stare on me. 

I shrugged, looking up and looking at him directly for the first time since we sat down. 'I just hate her' I told him. My words surprised even me. 

My mother really had fucked me up though. 

She was definitely to reason i could be so closed off, and why I used sarcasm as me way of coping with situations. 

'What is the situation with her?' he asked cautiously, clearly worried that his question had struck a chord with me.

I sighed contemplating if i should tell him or not. The only other people that knew about my mum properly, other than myself and my dad, were Sarah and Nicholas. 

But the look he was giving me somehow made me trust him, and talking about it would probably help. 

Because lets face it, Ryan was the second best thing i had to Sarah right now and she wasn't here. 

I cleared me throat, fidgeting in my seat slightly before i spoke. 

'7 years ago' I started, playing with my fingers nervously but making sure i kept my gaze locked on Ryan, 'My mum walked out on me and my Dad' 

He sat back in his chair slightly, motioning for me to continue by nodding at me. 

'It was very sudden and completely unexpected for me and my Dad. He thought she still loved him and i thought she was the best Mum in the world' I laughed bitterly, the words sounded ridiculous. 

Best Mum in the world, As if. 

What mother leaves her daughter when she is ten years old. 

'Thats shit' he said, shaking his head. 'So you haven't forgiven her?'  

'No, because she has never properly apologised to me. For the first five years all she did was send me birthday cards, there wasn't one phone call or one letter'. I realised i was clenching me fists, and i released them, taking a calming deep breath.